Growing fodder for chickens

Pics
Lucky for me I have a friend that makes his own vinegers. I plan to dope about half a gallon of acv with some apple juice and some of his mother. and get the process started.
If you need some immediately you can "dope" some already processed ACV with the mother ACV and put it in a dark place with the cap off covered by a paper towel and have some mother ACV in a couple of weeks. That way you can keep it going after the first time and never have to buy it again.

If you need some immediately you can "dope" some already processed ACV with the mother ACV and put it in a dark place with the cap off covered by a paper towel and have some mother ACV in a couple of weeks.  That way you can keep it going after the first time and never have to buy it again. 

How many parts of the mother vinegar do you add to the plain ACV to do this? I am in!

Last edited:
When using the upside down shelves, which I think is awesome, do you have something on the floor to catch the excess water? Do you just water the top and let the water drip down, or do you water all the levels? I love the idea of the little squares already sectioned out.

I'm so excited to try this. I want my gals to have some good stuff to eat over the winter.

Oh and how many days does it need to sit in the dark? I need the full set of instructions lol
Just leave it in there until you start to see cloudy swirls in it. That is the "mother" developing. Since it only takes a little bit, I would buy a bottle of the "mother" and a gallon of the regular at the same time. Put a 1/2 cup in the regular and by the time you use the "mother" vinegar your other will be more than ready to use. Just keep up this system, and you are good to go.

Thanks for the info! So I mix it, let it sit in the dark uncapped, with paper towel over...then when I see the swirl cap it and it is good to go. I am so doing this, I keep meaning to and just put it off. I give my chickens ACV all the time, but the Bragg's is harder to find, so this is a great solution.

Back
Top Bottom