Growing fodder for chickens

Pics
I really think as long as its unpasturized, with mother it works fine. Mine is bubbling away, and they are little hogs when i feed them. I am so pleased with the results, they look wonderful, smell better and i am saving money. The fodder is another huge plus, but i wont be real serious with it til we get snow. I do know they really like it.

I have found feed that is PORK based and love the stuff. Not to high priced either. 22% protein and $14 a bag. But I would love for the chickens to have some greens. I have to keep mine penned so they don't get to free range... only the guinea get out.

I would love to have a large greenhouse and give aquaponics a try.
My bro in law sells greenhouses, they are commercial grade, in 3 different sizes (Small, medium, large/full-sized, lol), and they deliver in the Intermountain West.. I'll give you more info in PM if you want. My mom has a full-sized one and we are thinking about rotating the birds through there this winter...

my Goats can smell dandelions from across the field I'm sure. They will dig around the tall grass/weeds till they find them. I used to think they were weeds that I didn't want around, now I love them!
Dandelions are an awesome plant, a shame it has such a bad rap...

Awesome pics of all the fodder!! Can't wait to start mine!! I really loved the idea of turning those plastic shelves upside down, I actually have a small one that I'm always trying to figure out what to use it for... now I have a good use for it, lol!

Very innovative thinking on the alternative protein sources for the birds: mice, fish, etc... I know my birds LOVE it when I give them ham leftovers, we gave them a leftover hamhock once and they went CRAZY! It was clean as a whistle when they were done with it... Doesn't happen too often, we don't eat ham everyday, lol...

Last edited:
My bro in law sells greenhouses, they are commercial grade, in 3 different sizes (Small, medium, large/full-sized, lol), and they deliver in the Intermountain West.. I'll give you more info in PM if you want. My mom has a full-sized one and we are thinking about rotating the birds through there this winter...

Dandelions are an awesome plant, a shame it has such a bad rap...

Awesome pics of all the fodder!! Can't wait to start mine!! I really loved the idea of turning those plastic shelves upside down, I actually have a small one that I'm always trying to figure out what to use it for... now I have a good use for it, lol!

Very innovative thinking on the alternative protein sources for the birds: mice, fish, etc... I know my birds LOVE it when I give them ham leftovers, we gave them a leftover hamhock once and they went CRAZY! It was clean as a whistle when they were done with it... Doesn't happen too often, we don't eat ham everyday, lol...
What is the price range for the greenhouses?

Oh and how many days does it need to sit in the dark? I need the full set of instructions lol
frow.gif

Here is another way of making up/ACV http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.ca/p/blog-page.html

Last edited:
So, wheat is definately the way to go.

My wheat grass is comming up with an easy no fuss rotation.
I too bought a few plastic containers from the dollar store.
So, 3 packs of bowls and a 50lb bag of wheat total cost 16$

Not bad when you think about that being better for them and you will end up with 150lb of food in the end.
I use 1/2 cup of seed per bowl, seems to be just about right.

I have ripped off little pieces to give as a treat and they gobble it down so I see this being a very easy thing to feed my girls

The timing couldn't be more perfect either because my girls are just about of age to start laying now.
Hooray!
This is 4 days rotation (5 if you count the soak bowl)

What is the price range for the greenhouses?
What type and size are you looking for?
Here is a good place to a "basic" greenhouse if you don't mind putting it up yourself.
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/

I myself built all of mine from the ground up. (can be way cheaper)
The one I'm working on now is a Solar Shed design but I have had A-Frames, Quanset, and "Traditional"

Chris

I'm not sure what type or size yet as I've just started my research and want to see what options I have. I'd like to have a place for my new spring plants so I can start them earlier. The spring season where I live is brutal. I'm going to setup hoop houses for this year, but would like to upgrade at some point.

Back
Top Bottom