Growing Food for Chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dalmation1080, Jan 7, 2014.

1. dalmation1080

dalmation1080 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2012
    I'm already thinking about spring! I'd like to grow some stuff for my chickens/ducks to eat this upcoming year, to help save on my feed bill a little. My plan is to start rasining mealworms and duckweed to make sure they get enough protien, but is there anything I can put into a "Chicken Garden". Stuff they could pick around at? Does anyone have a list of stuff I could grow, or a place were I could buy a mix of seeds (I've searched online, but I just can't seem to find someone who sells a nice large amount.)

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    they sure play hay with my tommytoes. i never get one.lol

3. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    My suggestions are:

Squash
    Melons
    Sweet corn

Then if I have partially rotten tomatoes they can get them too plus any canning scraps.

4. FarmalI

FarmalI Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2013
    The list is really endless, you could do: wheat, oats, cucumbers, melons, corn, soybeans, squash, tomatoes, (pumpkin, and i dont know how true it is but ive heard that they are a natural dewormer for chickens), sunflowers are very good.

If you have more questions, please ask. [​IMG]

5. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    As far as "stuff they could pick around at", green come to mind. Right now, I have a half-dozen mustard plants surviving in the summer garden that the chickens get to graze on a few hours a day. (not to mention the bugs and weeds in there!) They'll eat most greens -- mine go wild over collards and kale in particular. Now and then I plant buckwheat and cowpeas as a cover crop, and they'll graze that without completely destroying it. Your mileage may vary, though -- it depends a lot on what else they have to eat.

Of course, if you want stuff to pick and give them, the sky's the limit. ;)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    you are making me hungry, mustard is one of my favorites. bad chicky ! mine go for the clover and dandelions .

7. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Clover and dandelions are excellent -- and usually free! Chickweed, too. A lot of the weeds that people work themselves to death to get rid of are good chicken pasture.

1 person likes this.
  8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    they have no problem finding them in my yard. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by