Growing my little flock

Pics
Coco Bean says "gimme all your blueberries!"
IMG_20231121_072152__01s.jpg

Coco's still a bit nervous about the rooster brothers, but she's starting to voluntarily spend more time around the other adult hens (in addition to her bizarre entourage of olive eggers lol). I haven't been able to remove the coop-in-a-coop yet but that's been purely due to weather. Hopefully the hen saddle can come off in a couple weeks too.

Coco Bean says "gimme all your blueberries!"
View attachment 3688820
Coco's still a bit nervous about the rooster brothers, but she's starting to voluntarily spend more time around the other adult hens (in addition to her bizarre entourage of olive eggers lol). I haven't been able to remove the coop-in-a-coop yet but that's been purely due to weather. Hopefully the hen saddle can come off in a couple weeks too.
How can you withhold the blueberries from that adorable face!?! I think that's the closest I've ever seen a chicken get to puppy dog eyes 😃

Finally got a good profile pic of Mr. Squeak. I thought he was going to have more brown feathers sprinkled in, but those seem to be disappearing. He has such dainty little feet lol just like his egg mom Dimple.
IMG_20231123_114658__01s.jpg

How can you withhold the blueberries from that adorable face!?! I think that's the closest I've ever seen a chicken get to puppy dog eyes
She got double blueberries today because of that face. 😂 First got some treats from me as per usual, then started to follow me back to the front door...but she noticed my husband heading to the fridge and engaged her warp drive back to the snack place lol.

Inner coop removed...proper roost bars in and being Coco-tested! It's pretty sturdy but that little chonker can still make it bounce just a bit if she really slams it lol. Obviously I need to make at least one more set of bars for this many chickens, but I have some time while they figure out to sleep on these. The olive eggers often still prefer to form a randomly-placed pullet pile unfortunately even though they play on the bars during the day. And do forgive the state of Junior's tail...or lack of it. At this stage in his molt, I think he may be just one mischevious pullet tug away from being no-butt-Junior.
IMG_20231127_161242s.jpg

Inner coop removed...proper roost bars in and being Coco-tested! It's pretty sturdy but that little chonker can still make it bounce just a bit if she really slams it lol. Obviously I need to make at least one more set of bars for this many chickens, but I have some time while they figure out to sleep on these. The olive eggers often still prefer to form a randomly-placed pullet pile unfortunately even though they play on the bars during the day. And do forgive the state of Junior's tail...or lack of it. At this stage in his molt, I think he may be just one mischevious pullet tug away from being no-butt-Junior.
View attachment 3693244
Haha, I can see Coco making the roost bounce 🤣

No butt Junior, thays hilarious!

It's looking good in your coop!

View attachment 3693244
Can you secure the roost to the wall?

It doesn't have to be permanent, just something to keep the darlings from bouncing it.

Can you secure the roost to the wall?

It doesn't have to be permanent, just something to keep the darlings from bouncing it.

I will be doing that soon so I can take the cinderblocks out; that's what they're braced with right now. Have just been making sure they're content with that location as a roost place and it seems like they do like it. Unfortunately a wall anchor will not stop the bounce, since the feet stay anchored - she's bouncing the 2x2 horizontal pole that should be thick enough to handle that since it didn't bend when I pressed on it, but, well...I may need to add some middle supports if she's going to keep doing silly jumps onto it.

Raven looks angry! :gig
Often she looks grumpier than she is but she has been a bit crabby lately; I don't think she's a fan of winter! There've been a couple nasty weather mornings this past week where I went out to the run to greet the flock and Raven just yelled at me from the auto door opening until I went in the nice cozy shed coop to give her a hug lol.

Back
Top Bottom