Growing my own chicken feed

Country Parson

Songster
9 Years
Oct 1, 2010
Bellefontaine, OH
I have a fairly large garden plot (40x120ft), which would easily be doubled (or made even larger yet) Of the current plot, I'll use about half of it for vegetables. I am planning on growing as much chicken & geese feed as I can for the winter. I have about 10 hens, 4 pilgrim geese, and 3 muscovy ducks, and I'll geese next winter I'll have about the same amount (maybe a few more Muscovies).

The current plan is to grow various root crops for winter storage & feed. This will include turnips, mangels, & rutabagas.

The BIG question is what type of grain I should grow. I've planned to set aside a 15ftx120ft section of the garden for spring Wheat. But I'm wondering what other grains I should grow (FYI, I live in central/west Ohio, west of Columbus).

Currently I am also considering the following:

Millet
Milo
Oats

I do plan on growing buckwheat and possibly even cowpeas---as well as clover (but these will be more for 'in-season' feeding).

Does anyone have any experience with growing your own grains on a smaller scale? Any advice in terms of how much I should grow or what kinds of grains would be wise?

I forgot to mention I do plan on putting in at least one 40ft row of sunflowers. I got about 20 heads this Fall from a friend that just grew them for fun. The hens seem to love them. I don't even bother getting the seeds out of the head---the chickens do all the work for me. Not sure how much this is making a dent in my feed bill, but the hens are having fun.

i did cowpeas, sunflowers, amerathus (sp?), and dent corn (ok i don't grow it i collect it). i also freeze any extra veggies that won't get eaten in time during the summer. during canning season half the by products go in freezer for later.

Go for sprouting your seeds to maximise nutrient value to birds. there is a current thread going on

Best of luck!

millet it very easy to grow. you can also just buy a bag of bird seed mix and spread it on the ground then just rake in. you can also grow corn and let it dry in the sun. i do not think the other stuff would be too hard to grow. you can also make a hoop house and grow stuff year round, they are easy to make and protect some plants very well

I simply get a bag of scratch mix, mix in some peas and any other seeds I have on hand and plant that. I harvest the tops with a sickle when I want to feed the chooks. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom