Grown chicken with curled toes

rihanna12

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2020
Hi all,
i have a 8 year old chicken who earlier this year had heat stroke and then maggots in the same week... she is all better now but ever since then she has had curled toes and has trouble walking.
What i have seen is that her hock(pretty sure) is enlarged on both feet. Her actual toe nails are curled and her toes are forced to curl because of the nails. I have tried to make shoes out of cardboard but she will peck/eat at anything that is near her. I also give rooster booster vitamins in their water.
Are there any ideas on how to fix this... she is pretty old and because of her feet cant move around too much... she usually uses her wings to help her move.
She is constantly eating and drinking so it doesn’t have too much of an effect on her

I will try to attach pictures later

the hock is like... the knee kinda... so maybe you're trying to say somewhere else is swollen.

her toe nails have curled causing her toes to curl? definitely need pictures.

i haven’t compared her hock to other chickens but yes... it seems to be enlarged and swollen... i will definitely take pictures and yes her toe nails are the issue
from the base of them, they have gotten thick and have started to curl which makes her walk funny so what i think is that it made her toes curl

Definitely need pics.

i have a 8 year old chicken who earlier this year had heat stroke and then maggots in the same week... she is all better now but ever since then she has had curled toes and has trouble walking.
How and with what did you treat these ailments?
How long ago?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

Here are pictures from awhile ago ..

Attachments

• 7149B8B9-F312-4B91-924B-5AA47696725A.png
    7149B8B9-F312-4B91-924B-5AA47696725A.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 5C2DA7FF-A11B-48CF-8952-D1233439A994.png
    5C2DA7FF-A11B-48CF-8952-D1233439A994.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
  • E3697C8B-6611-40AC-BBC4-25CA1D9243C6.png
    E3697C8B-6611-40AC-BBC4-25CA1D9243C6.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 19
Definitely need pics.

How and with what did you treat these ailments?
How long ago?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Honestly i dont remember much from the heat stroke... she got a lot of watermelon and Electrolytes and lettuce and things like that

for the maggots she got a Dawn dish soap bath and then i treated her wound from it

it was probably in April

she is my only chicken who gets yogurt so she gets that occasionally, also mealworms, lettuce, or watermelon as occasional treats but she eats scratch grains

And in those pictures it kinda looks like she has scaly leg mites but her scales currently aren’t as dirty or look suspicious of it

Back
Top Bottom