Grown up duck or duckling?? Where to begin the duck adventure?

NoseyChickens

Feathers On The Ground
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
Southern California
I am thinking of getting a duck in the spring. Which would be a better way to start out having ducks? I have chickens. Can I have just 1 or 2 ducks. And if I get them should they be duckings or adult ducks? We live in the desert in an area that is spread out but we do have neighbors, so I would prefer a more quiet duck. If you only have 1 or 2 would it be better to have females. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I have done both and so far it's worked out just fine. But duckling are just so darn cute and fun to watch and, of course, sometimes they are way sweeter and human friendly when started from duckling. Muscovies are a quiet duck....have fun!
Oh and I have 2 females. I'm not sure if 2 males would get along all the time. In the spring there might be issues but maybe not if there are no females around.

Last edited:
One things for sure, if you get a male and a female you will end up with MORE ducks
tongue.png
I would suggest getting at least two, never a lone duck.

You really should get more than one, ducks are incredibly social animals, they need buddies. Getting ducklings or adults is a personal choice; if you want cute fluffy babies, get ducklings, if you don't want to deal with brooding them, get adults. If you want them to be quiet, get two males. Males should get along as long as there aren't any females to fight over, and males don't quack, they make a hoarse, whispery sound.

i would get both at the same time so that you can expierence all aspects of raising ducks in a short period of time so that you know whether you like ducks and could raise them

Thank you for all the advice! I am seriously going to have to research this. As long as the DH dosen't get transfer orders I just may be the proud owner of a couple of ducks come spring!

oh yeah...one more question. Do ducks make noise in the middle of the night? You know like a rooster sometimes crows?

no they are pretty silent, how close do you want tobe to your duck?
if you get a full grown duck he wont imprint on you, but a duckling is more apt to.
(you say your husband may get transfer orders are you all a military family?

Quote:
Mine do on occasion... not very often though. If noise is an issue you should consider muscovies or if not scovies then just a couple males. The females make all the noise... the males have a very quiet, sort of raspy quack.

I am sorry but I had to point it out since no one else has...

Quote:
And i would suggest ducklings. they're so cute & fun and if you hand raise they will be much sweeter as adults.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom