growth/abscess

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cowgirl11, Jun 11, 2011.

1. cowgirl11

cowgirl11 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    hi everyone,
    i know this is the chicken thread but i know chickens and pigeons can get a lot of the same things so i was hoping someone would have an idea to what this is...
    my new (young) pigeon has a growth below her vent (not on her vent) she did have mites when i got her but i'm not sure if that could of made such a big growth? also, it is protruding out pretty far and is extremely hard on top of it, it feels callused. anybody have any ideas? i've been treating it with vetericyn and neosporin and it hasn't gotten any better (it's been a week)
    thanks![​IMG]

2. hencrazy

hencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    That honestly needs to be seen by an avian vet. The clinic I work for does not see birds, but if that was on any other animal we would want to see it to take a sample and see what's going on in there. May just need cleaning and oral antibiotics or may need to be surgically removed. Good luck!

3. cowgirl11

cowgirl11 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    I really wish I could, I love my birds, but I can't afford an expensive vet bill on a pigeon.

4. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    perhaps it's infected?

5. JoePa

JoePa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Lehigh County Pa.
    I would cut the thing out and then deal with a open wound - give the bird an antibioic and put neosporine on the wound - use a clean razor like blade to cut it out - you probably want someone to help you when you do it - just use some tweezers and pull it out and cut it out -

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by