growth on face

dawn9702

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 5, 2013
Cedar City, UT

One of my hens has a weird moldy looking thing on her face. She seems fine. She eats, drinks, lays, and acts normal. Here is a picture. Anyone know what it is?

Last edited:
That could be a tumor, an abscess or it could be canker. Canker can also be inside the throat, so look inside her beak for any yellow or grayish patches. There looks to be a dark center of the growth--is that a peck mark? Is the growth firm and solid or puffy like an abscess? Canker usually looks grayish on the outside (I have only seen pictures of it) but your chicken has a lot of red in the face, so it's hard to tell. Below are pictures of probable canker. Treatment is flagyl, metronidazole, or Fishzole 250mg by mouth daily for 5 days. http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/154/trichomoniasis-canker-frounce

OK So I looked in her mouth, everything looks fine, no yellow or grayish patches (that I can see wrestling a chicken lol) I would say the growth is solid and firm, its more gray than the pics show I think. I haven't noticed any of my other chickens pecking at it and it doesn't look any more irritated so I don't think its a peck mark. It does look a little darker in the center. she really seems fine but I dont want to not treat it if its going to get worse...Thanks for your help :)

Hmm Im not positive its the same thing...maybe mine is just beginning, but I dont see any pus or yellow gunk and she seems to be breathing regular. maybe I should just treat her anyways? Im fairly new to this so not sure what to do.

Hmm Im not positive its the same thing...maybe mine is just beginning, but I dont see any pus or yellow gunk and she seems to be breathing regular. maybe I should just treat her anyways? Im fairly new to this so not sure what to do.
I think if it was canker you would probably see worsening soon, so I would take down the info for the fishzole, but just watch it for a few days to a week. I think it may well be a cyst or tumor, especially if it is hard. Did she get a Mareks vaccine? Mareks can cause tumors in chickens. I'm not saying that is what it is, but just telling you about it. Mareks also causes many other symptoms such as paralysis of legs and wings. Hopefully it isn't that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom