Growth on mouth of hen. Anyone know what this is?

ThomasShelby

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2020
20201019_173601.jpg
20201019_173558.jpg

Almost looks like a tumor to me, or possibly an abscess of sorts. Either way, a vet would be the best line of route for her.

https://www.metzerfarms.com/Veterinarians.cfm

Have you checked inside her mouth? Is she able to eat ok? When did this occur?

Yes she is able to eat okay but she is unable to close her beak fully. Was given to me as a part of a flock a few weeks ago and the growth seems to have gotten larger since then.

Can you look inside her beak to see if there are any yellow growths or cankers? How does her beak smell? Sometimes canker can cause geowths inside the beak, and the wet form of fowl pox make look similar. Tumors are also sometimes located there.
I have checked inside the mouth and didn't see anything else (no yellow growth or cankers). Didn't notice any unusual smell but will check it tomorrow morning.

Yes she is able to eat okay but she is unable to close her beak fully. Was given to me as a part of a flock a few weeks ago and the growth seems to have gotten larger since then.

Poor thing. I would check inside her mouth, but, your best bet would be contacting a veterinarian in your area that does birds/poultry, so testing, and biopsies can be done to determine the nature of the "tumor", and/or determine if it is a malignant tumor, or benign tumor. Both being serious, but the latter having a better prognosis for the bird, as they tend not to spread/regrow and can sometimes be removed. Of course, the tumor can be a signalment of a bigger health problem at play.

Glad to hear there is no evidence of canker. If she has a tumor, some tumors are caused by viruses in chickens. Some may not be viral in origin. Let us know how she gets along.

Back
Top Bottom