growth rate of chicks

juliadeer

Chirping
Feb 27, 2010
So my 3 Speckled Sussex chickens hatched at Ideal on the 18th I got them on the 19th and I noticed one was slightly larger than the others and that it was a bit fluffier. Now it has been about a week and that one is feathering way faster it is still just slightly larger the growth seems to be even among them but that one has had tail feathers for 3 days and the others don't the wing feathers are longer and larger and there are some feathers on the shoulders too. If I did not have confidence that Ideal would not have sent a chick that was older I would think she was like 3 or 4 days ahead of the others. They were out of a batch of 25 pullets. So my question is...is this normal?? This is my first experience keeping chickens so I have no idea?? you can sort of see it in these photos in the top photo the one on the bottom is the big one and the bottom photo she is the one on the top...hehehe sorry that was not supposed to be confusing
IMG_3559.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg

They look fine to me. Often, even when people hatch their own - Some will be much bigger and more developed, and others smaller. Chicks will hatch hours to even a day or so after others, plus some end up runts, so you may never know. My current four Marans seem to vary quite a bit, but they were all born on the same day.
smile.png

Oh, and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Ok that is good to know that seems reasonable that some might just be bigger than others...also do you know how it works at the hatcheries. Meaning do these chicks have the same parents or could they all be from different parents?? Because it seems that even within the same breed and same hatch date the parents could effect how big or feathered or whatever they are.....

Probably different mothers, possibly different fathers. I would think the odds of having the same mother and father would be pretty low. And yes, that does have an affect on growth rate, feathering, size, color and everything else.

Edited to add: Actually pullets usually feather out faster than cockerels, so it's not likely a cockerel.

Last edited:
Boy I hope not I was worried about that I figured at 90% accuracy my chances were really good to get girls but two boys would be super unlucky....I can only have girls and only three in my tiny city yard. Well if that happens I suppose I will be back on here trying to figure out how to add chicks to my one chicken coop...

Keep in mind pullets get feathers much quicker than roos, though that's not 100% true....most of the time it is. I have 5 RIRs that were sexed to be pullets. There's one ahead in growth compared to the others, but they grow evenly. Most of mine are getting in tail and shoulder feathers by day 6.

Back
Top Bottom