1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Growth Retardation?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TinyTotsSeramas, Aug 17, 2011.

1. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    What would keep a Button Quail chick from growing? She'll be a week old on Saterday and she still looks like a 2 day old!! I have 3 almost 2 week olds that last week, were huge compaired to her! She came from a ridiculously small egg and was smaller then the 3 two week olds... she hasnt gotten any of her wing pin feathers in like the 2 week olds did and she hasnt gained in size like them either! I thought It was all in my mind until my husband said something about it to me a few minutes ago... any advice would be helpful!

She is on Dumor Chick Starter feed non-medicated by the way!!

TIA

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Runts do occur and they survive over time or do not. I usually sell them as pets if they survive. I can't have them in my stock.

3. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:She seems to be doing very well and zips around the tank... So if she does make it past a certian point, you would advise she stays as a pet only?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by