Grr...Crumbles get crushed into powder...

FirewifeJess

Songster
7 Years
Mar 2, 2012
Gallifrey
...that then clogs up the feeder. I don't know what to do. I have had many issues with my chickens nutrition and their feed and I finally found something that all 12 of them eat like it's going out of style (simply, Purina medicated Starter/Grower crumbles), and now I have another problem: They peck and crush the crumbles so much that they become a very fine powder that clogs up the feeder I use. I really don't want to buy another expensive chicken product or switch feed, the one we are finally using is working great for their health and growth! But what do I do with all the powder they don't/can't eat?! When all the stuff on bottom becomes powder no more crumbles come out and their mealtimes are super short and then they leave the run to go find some real food in the grass since they aren't eating enough feed. I don't want some complicated daily process, but I guess since we have enough feed now to last until they're all laying in 6-7 weeks, I am going to need to do something so it doesn't go to waste. Ideas?

Whenever there is flour from the bottom of the bag, we just stir in a bit of water, It becomes a stiff porridge that the birds gobble up. We try hard to waste nothing, at these prices.

I don't know your feeder setup and how easy it is reclaim the flour crumbs, but we never worry about it. A little moisture and Ta Da. We mostly feed layer mash, which is fairly coarse, actually, but there is also a good bit of flour because of the grinding process. Same thing. On cold days, warm water and on hot days, cold water and the birds love their moist feed. Of course, our feeding style is twice a day, so your setup may quite different.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom