Grrr, Wanting Something for Nothing & No Appreciation for Fine Hand Quilting....A Rare Speckledhen

There are numerous charts and quite a few variables aside from just the numbers. There will never be a "standard" as such within the handmade quilting community because, well, it's not the industry, too many variables. The industry, as I mentioned once, is Walmart, Target, Macy's, etc. If you check out the quilt broker site I gave you, you'll see that they only mention quilt dimensions, not the queen, king, full, twin designations, which leaves it up to the customer to measure what they want/need before the purchase.
https://www.quiltbroker.com/

You'll also notice lots of off-sizes in these quilts, some due to the block sizes used and secondarily, if the blocks must have a certain number wide to long to form a design, like the barn raising design on the quilt I just made. That leads to very much non-standardized sizes, though most will generally correspond to "queen" or "twin" or "lap" quilt.

ETA: Shoutout to @fisherlady thank you and you know why
wink.png
. Been a rough day. Lost my sweet little bantam Cochin rooster, Xander, overnight and not feeling all that great today. You were a huge boost for me this afternoon and I appreciate you so much.

Last edited:
There are numerous charts and quite a few variables aside from just the numbers. There will never be a "standard" as such within the handmade quilting community because, well, it's not the industry, too many variables. The industry, as I mentioned once, is Walmart, Target, Macy's, etc. If you check out the quilt broker site I gave you, you'll see that they only mention quilt dimensions, not the queen, king, full, twin designations, which leaves it up to the customer to measure what they want/need before the purchase.
https://www.quiltbroker.com/

You'll also notice lots of off-sizes in these quilts, some due to the block sizes used and secondarily, if the blocks must have a certain number wide to long to form a design, like the barn raising design on the quilt I just made. That leads to very much non-standardized sizes, though most will generally correspond to "queen" or "twin" or "lap" quilt.

ETA: Shoutout to @fisherlady
thank you and you know why 
;) . Been a rough day. Lost my sweet little bantam Cochin rooster, Xander, overnight and not feeling all that great today. You were a huge boost for me this afternoon and I appreciate you so much.

You are welcome! :hugs

So sorry you lost Xander, I can only imagine and sympathize, we have a wonderful older fellow who is showing definite signs of slowing down and the cold is making it worse. I am dreading the day....

I enjoyed that link! So many wonderful varieties! Many are "busier" than I normally would look at but are stunning and would be wonderful to have. I do admire your incredible talent!

You are welcome!
hugs.gif

So sorry you lost Xander, I can only imagine and sympathize, we have a wonderful older fellow who is showing definite signs of slowing down and the cold is making it worse. I am dreading the day....

I enjoyed that link! So many wonderful varieties! Many are "busier" than I normally would look at but are stunning and would be wonderful to have. I do admire your incredible talent!
I hate when they slow down. Xander was 4 years old, so I didn't think we'd lose him this soon, but roosters have a stressful existence, which probably weighs on their heart health.

So sorry to hear your Bantam died.
Happy Valentine's Day.
Making mug cakes for something sweet tonight.
Thank you. Mug cakes are good, have made those a few times.

There was some shrinkage, but I believe it was due to the batting, not the fabrics. I never pre-wash the battings and it has been awhile since I used a batting with cotton. I'm not sure I've ever used this [articular brand (Pellon). The one I used to buy from Walmart was never had in stock at any of the Walmarts around me, not in this size anyway. Being a very low loft as are most cottons and cotton blends, they do tend to shrink more than polyester, though this one did more than I'm used to seeing. Could be the brand, not sure.

The final measurement, flat on the floor, smoothing it out, without stretching it unnecessarily, was 73 x 96, possibly a tad over those measurements, at the borderline of full and queen; those are round numbers using a tape measure just laying on top, not pressed down to add length to either measurement. That is why I said it by PM that it is not what you want, but here are the photos after washing, as requested. I took all my other quilts off my bed and I do not have a pillow-top mattress, just a plain, though fairly new one, so it's not flat, but also does not have a high top on it, which would shorten up the sides as well. It is slightly tucked under the edge of the pillows.
From all you've said, it does not seem to me that it will fit your requirements.

Last edited:
It's absolutely gorgeous, Cyn, and what a lot of work you did in an amazingly short time! You are amazing!
hugs.gif

Thank you, Robin. I did push it, aided by my awesome husband, who took care of things outside when I needed to concentrate on this project. He gets a lot of credit for what I'm able to get done. I even surprised myself by getting all the binding complete in one day!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom