Grrr!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by The Red Rooster, Aug 30, 2011.

1. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

So i'm trying to find out how many roos I have. Hear lots of crowing. Then I go outside to see who's doing it! As soon as I open the door... SILENCE! [​IMG] They absolutely refuse to crow unless i'm in the house. How can I watch them with out them knowing? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! [​IMG]

2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    You could try seperating the suspected roo's from the rest of the flock for a while. they might try crowing to get the flock to come back!

3. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Video camera? [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    What I've done in the past just to mess with their heads a bit. My cell phone has a rooster crowing ringtone. Hide where they can't see you and play it and all the roos want to compete with it.
    But...wouldn't it be easier to post pics of your suspected roos and we can tell you how many are really roos?

5. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    gritsar - funny post! I recorded the hens when they were having a group egg song one day. If I play it, they all go batty!

I ditto gritsar - pictures might be the easiest way to ID roo's. Besides, I love chicken photos, period! [​IMG]

I have five cockerels of crowing age, and only one crows. Likely a dominance thing.

6. The Red Rooster

Good ideas! I finally found out the one that was crowing! He didn't see me looking from behind the house... Muhahhah!!

7. LadyGinger

LadyGinger Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    Quote:That is funny, thanks for the laugh!

8. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    well, there's this thing called a window made of something called glass that you can look through! [​IMG]

9. The Red Rooster

Quote:Lol! They always hide under the deck!

10. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Quote:Lol! They always hide under the deck!

oh [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by