grrrrrr! lay an egg already!!

gjoyner

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2009
Denver Metro area Colorado
I have a RIR blue andelusian and an Ameracauna. they are all about 23 weeks..the Ameracauna a little older maybe.
The RIR has been laying for a few weeks now...but the other two have not! when oh when will the other two start laying???

Out of 20, I had 1 laying at 18 weeks, 2 more at 20 weeks, and 2 more at 23 weeks, giving me 25% at 23 weeks, You have 33% at 23 weeks so you are ahead of me. Quit bragging.

Soon, probably... I always heard about 6 months was normal for most breeds to start laying - and if your hens are about that old, then they should begin laying any time now.

The AVERAGE time is 24 weeks, so you're doing okay!

Heck, I've got about 8 that are 27-29 weeks, and nothin' yet!

Remember, it's actually better for them to start later...there's less chance of laying issues such as prolapse, internally laying, etc.

i think i am going to move my grill closer to the coop for a little encouragement..... i bought 3 pullets, did not know age. any signs, hints at being able to tell how old these girls are? i would appreciate the help.

i have also noticed how many share about the decrease in laying or some entirely quit due to molting and less light in the day? these chickens arent going to quit on me before they even get started?

Quote:
Age is hard to tell in adult chickens.....I have been waiting from 20 weeks on, felt like they were pretty much big chickens....my first one was 24 weeks old when she laid the first egg, I think # 2 jsust started at almost 27 weeks old and my other Wyandotte and my EE at 27 weeks have not laid yet.Some of the signs that they are getting ready are reddening of comb and wattles, getting more vocal (egg song) and maybe squatting down when you approach/pet them.....Also my "lead chicken" was checking out the nestboxes for a couple of weeks....I have 2 wooden eggs in there and she moved them around quite a bit. Also, the pubic bone spreads when they get ready to lay, you have to pick up the chicken and feel - I think in a standard chicken you should be able to get 3 fingers wide when they are redy....but I am not sure on that 'measurement' Never did it. I would think your chickens should start laying even with days getting shorter unless they are too young.

Back
Top Bottom