Grub bag

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SandraMort, Sep 21, 2008.

1. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    I get the idea behind grub buckets. I've got some plastic mesh, sort of like hardware cloth. What if I made a bag, used something like newspaper that was crumpled up into a ball to coat with cat food, lowered that into the bag and suspended the cone shaped bag over the chicken area? Seems like a lot less work...

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Guess it would work. Would cat food be stinky enough and hold enough moisture to work? Either way I think I'll pass. :p

3. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    huh? [​IMG]
    What is that used for?
    ~Rebecca

4. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Search "maggot bucket".

5. skyfires

skyfires Trying to hide

Jul 19, 2008
    The Ozarks of Arkansas
    Oh,,,ok,,,going to look at Maggot Buckets. Everyone already thinks I'm nuts around here,,,now I'll be raising maggots too,, [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    At 14-19 dollars per 50 lbs of feed, I say FREE FOOD IS A GOOD THING. I've got a decades long phobia of maggots to overcome, too. If I can do it, so can you! [​IMG]

7. AnthonyT

AnthonyT Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Franklin, KY
    One thing about feeding maggots. Birds are very susceptable to boutulism and the main ways they contract it are from eating rotting carcasses and vegetation. Vultures have evolved a resistance to the boutulinum toxin which is why they don't die from eating nasty dead things. Maggots can also stomach the toxin but carry deadly loads in their bodies. If chickens eat tainted maggots it will kill them. The toxin will also remain in the dead chicken and kill another chicken if they try to eat their fallen comrade. Happens all the time to wild waterfowl when they eat rotting vegatation, can kill thousands of birds at a time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by