Grub bag

SandraMort

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
ny
I get the idea behind grub buckets. I've got some plastic mesh, sort of like hardware cloth. What if I made a bag, used something like newspaper that was crumpled up into a ball to coat with cat food, lowered that into the bag and suspended the cone shaped bag over the chicken area? Seems like a lot less work...

huh?
hu.gif

What is that used for?
~Rebecca

At 14-19 dollars per 50 lbs of feed, I say FREE FOOD IS A GOOD THING. I've got a decades long phobia of maggots to overcome, too. If I can do it, so can you!
smile.png

One thing about feeding maggots. Birds are very susceptable to boutulism and the main ways they contract it are from eating rotting carcasses and vegetation. Vultures have evolved a resistance to the boutulinum toxin which is why they don't die from eating nasty dead things. Maggots can also stomach the toxin but carry deadly loads in their bodies. If chickens eat tainted maggots it will kill them. The toxin will also remain in the dead chicken and kill another chicken if they try to eat their fallen comrade. Happens all the time to wild waterfowl when they eat rotting vegatation, can kill thousands of birds at a time.

Back
Top Bottom