Grumpy molter changing her roosting spot.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nakstk, Oct 11, 2012.

1. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    My 5 SS are going through their(and mine) first molt. Shirley the alpha hen is having a much harder time then the others. She has lost a lot more feathers then the rest. The last 3 nights she has stopped roosting with the others and has started sleeping by herself in the nest box. Is this normal? She just seems to be so much more grumpy and stand offish. I am sure this is all just because she is molting. Is there anything else I should do for her? She looks so miserable. They all are eating and drinking normally and I upped their protein intake from 15% to 22% I am also giving them warm oatmeal with scrambled eggs in the mornings.

2. Your on the right track. Not much more you can do for her. I've had hens sleep in the box when their healthy, simply cold. Which is most likely the reason your girl is sleeping there. Its more enclosed so it gets warmer. I hope she gets her feathers faster though, so that she'll be warm :)

3. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    My hen started acting the same when she started to molt. I'm sure it has something to do with the molt so didn't worry about it too much. Just hang in there, things will go back to normal soon enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by