Grumpy neighbor, advice welcome.

Honestly, my best option would be moving 😅
Because I’ve been living with close neighbors, and after some years my partner and I decided to move and now we live in the countryside away from civilization. The closest neighbors are 400m from our home, which we find perfect. I get it’s not the preferred solution, people usually like to live in neighborhoods. But I just give my point of view because even being a bit radical, it’s what worked for me and now I can have the animals I want and the trees I want, and do what I want basically.
We often wish we would have moved further out of the city. We are in A sweet spot now. Far enough to be rural, close enough it’s not a chore to access resources. I’d rather the drive at this point.

I have to trim my ducks' flight feathers, too. My duck flew into her barn and broke her pelvis. For their own good I trim them after their yearly molt now.

Personally, if I was in your situation I would trim your ducks' feathers, for their own good. They will still get a lot of joy from playing in puddles, foraging, and waddling around. I would also cut the branch and/or extend the fence in one, or both, of the ways suggested. You might also consider gifting your neighbor fresh duck eggs to get her feeling positively about your ducks, even though you will be keeping them safely on your property.

Since your ducks won't be able to escape predators as easily after trimming their feathers be extra careful to put them to bed before dusk, and keep the little dog out of your yard.

I have to trim my ducks' flight feathers, too. My duck flew into her barn and broke her pelvis. For their own good I trim them after their yearly molt now.

Personally, if I was in your situation I would trim your ducks' feathers, for their own good. They will still get a lot of joy from playing in puddles, foraging, and waddling around. I would also cut the branch and/or extend the fence in one, or both, of the ways suggested. You might also consider gifting your neighbor fresh duck eggs to get her feeling positively about your ducks, even though you will be keeping them safely on your property.

Since your ducks won't be able to escape predators as easily after trimming their feathers be extra careful to put them to bed before dusk, and keep the little dog out of your yard.
Good advice! Sad about your duck breaking her pelvis.

She doesn’t like fresh duck or chicken eggs. Can you believe it? When I gave her some a year ago she asked f they were safe to eat. She’s creeped out by growing your own food and raising your own animals for production.

I trim my birds because I have East Indies, Call Ducks, and Spotted Australian Ducks and they are all good flyers. I think once you trim them a few times, after each molt, they stop trying as much.

Not sure about Muskovies but unless there's a predator, I don't think mine would go over 5 ft. At least not after they are clipper for a month.

Also, it's important to clip only ONE wing. I have a photo, but not sure it will attach. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• Duck wings clip.jpg
    Duck wings clip.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 1
I trim my birds because I have East Indies, Call Ducks, and Spotted Australian Ducks and they are all good flyers. I think once you trim them a few times, after each molt, they stop trying as much.

Not sure about Muskovies but unless there's a predator, I don't think mine would go over 5 ft. At least not after they are clipper for a month.

Also, it's important to clip only ONE wing. I have a photo, but not sure it will attach. Hope it helps.
Why is it important to clip only one wing? My local avian expert [who clipped my muscovy's wings first time and taught me how to do it myself] clips both wings.

Back
Top Bottom