GSD: Are 2 hours enough?

Toast n Jelly

Songster
12 Years
Jan 29, 2007
Should they rest a couple of hours after eating or is that too long? I'd like to do what I can to eliminate any chances of bloat/torsion.

Feeding smaller amounts several times a day will help to avoid bloat.
Waiting, well I never make them rest after eating I just make sure I don't work them or do a hard romp/play with them before or after eating. Normally an hour for anything strenuous.
Sometimes they get it and there is no real reason.
Congrats on your GSD.
smile.png

I've kept GSDs and Dobies for many years and have never had or seen a problem with bloat in either breed. FWIW I feed late in the evening after all the day's activities are done. Adults only need fed once a day and do not need huge quantities of food to maintain themselves. Most of my adult GSDs eat about 3-4 cups of good dry dog food. I do give Milkbones in the mornings as a treat. That and some vitamin E are pretty much all I feed. My Dobies eat about 4 cups. My dogs are used for schutzhund and stay in good condition year-round, not skinny and certainly not fat, but very active.

HTH

Last edited:
I agree with the smaller meals. The day that our best dog died of bloat, we had fed the dogs a rather large meal of left over stew. I regret that to this day.

She was the sweetest most intelligent dog that we have ever had. She had even save our families life, after the older Komondor turned the gas range on just enough to start the gas flow, but far enough that the gas didn't light. She made me get out bed at 2 am. I had heard an alarm, but had not figured out what it meant. It was the carbon monoxide detector. It was just a matter of time before the pilot light would have ignited the gas. I was able to get the house aired out, but Berber bear was the real hero that night. She was also the best mouse hunter. I could tell her to get the mouse and she would. She lived for 11 years with us.

I have to say that I worried about the Komondork dying of bloat, but to lose our rather small Chow mix was devastating. She tried to tell she was in pain, and it took me too long to figure out what was wrong. We couldn't get her to the 24 hour vet in time.

RIP Berber

I try to keep the boys quiet for an hour before and two hours after eating. It's not always possible, but I try.

By the way, my boys - Jax will be 2 in March, Kane is 9 months old - gave up their morning meal a few months ago. I stopped offering the morning meal because it was an exercise in futility. They simply aren't interested in eating but once a day. I give them an all natural good sized dog treat in the mornings instead.

Back
Top Bottom