Guard dog ?

Pics
I have a collie who is a fabulous chicken guard dog. He chases big birds away and keeps everything off of my seven acres. I don't know if what you have there will be enough space for a collie though.

Border collies are the best herd dogs you can get. I'm not sure if I'd want to leave chickens unattended with one though. They can also be a bit hyper. A Japanese akita would make a extremely good guard dog for your home and animals. Nothing with any sense would dare come on your property uninvited! But like with any breeds training is paramount from an early age.

Last edited:
My American Staffordshire Terrier/ German Shepherd mix (aka Pit Bull type dog) LOVES and respects our chickens. He was adopted from a shelter and didn't meet chickens until he was 8 years old. It depends on the dog's individual temperament, not the breed. My lab mix is not good around my chickens, my previous lab would have been good. Depends on the dog, how you train them, and their experiences with chickens.
Also, do not leave your dog outside alone during the day if you don't have a fenced in yard and you have a road nearby. That's asking for trouble.
My best dog ever was a pit/shepherd X a pound puppy. She was amazing at hand signals I’d snap my fingers to get her attention and she’d follow my hand commands. People wanted to know how I trained her. Honestly she just understood naturally. I will never in my lifetime have another dog like her. She WAS perfect. Lived 12 years. She was ugly tho. Cute puppy that grew into a very unattractive adult. Kinda like a bunch of miss-matched body parts.

Back
Top Bottom