Guess breeds for these hens...

jenndk

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 26, 2013
Oklahoma
We have no idea the age of any of them, or what breeds they are, they could just be barnyard mixes, but thought it might be fun to see what others here on BYC thought.

This hen has such a different look to her, she is more upright with a long neck and such pretty feathers. She is a voracious eater and doesn't like to share her roost at night with anyone.

We call this one "Misty" I think when she molts and gets new feathers in she will be really pretty. Several of the birds that my son and husband got at the auctions have feathers missing from backs. I don't know if they were in a coop with too many birds or were in a situation with too many roosters and not enough hens or? I have dusted them with poultry dust. She lays brown eggs.

This is "Speck". Her feathers are in kind of rough shape too, has a dirty/stained appearance. Will she look cleaner after molt? If I didn't think it would completely freak her out, I would give her a bath. She seems more like a game type bird to me. We got 3 others with her that are more game looking as well, but they don't look anything like her and I didn't get any pics of them.

This is Zelda. She is such a character. She will follow me like a dog when I go out, always looking for treats or food. She will run from wherever she is if she hears us call the chickens and is the first one to us usually. She and another hen just like her came together and the other one died sort of suddenly in the first week we had them. Zelda has become much more spunky since she first arrived and lays an egg about every other day(white egg).

This is Zelda. She is such a character. She will follow me like a dog when I go out, always looking for treats or food. She will run from wherever she is if she hears us call the chickens and is the first one to us usually. She and another hen just like her came together and the other one died sort of suddenly in the first week we had them. Zelda has become much more spunky since she first arrived and lays an egg about every other day(white egg).
Plymouth barred rock

Back
Top Bottom