Guess I found out something even more popular than grapes!

Quote:
Well, no, not really... Figs are a zone 8 or warmer sort of a plant.

You can grow them in the ground here in TN (zone 6-7) and I'd expect a similar situation in MO. You have to plan on keeping the tree more of a shrub size so you can trim it back, cover it with straw, and wrap the pile in burlap to keep it from freezing to death over the winter. I don't think they sell the trees at any of our local stores because we're not really in the correct zone for them but you can order online and just accept that you're pushing the envelope and your tree may not survive if we get an especially cold winter. I understand that there are folks experimenting with growing them on a larger scale using tall grow tunnels for protection.

OR, you can grow them in containers just about anywhere if you have someplace protected to store them over the winter.

Quote:
My chickens are absolutely crazy over figs too. The just go wild when they see me picking them. It's by far their favorite treat. Here I've had that tree for some 20 years and never knew what to do with the fruit! I'll eat one or two but they don't do much for me. Ours are a deep purple to brownish when ripe.

Back
Top Bottom