1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guess Reba is Feeling Better... Here's Why

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Jun 21, 2011.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Reba, my old RIR girl who had recently been suffering from some egg related malfunction and not doing well, led an expedition of older ladies into the deep forest (of ferns and brush) in search of the knee high wild blueberries and the blackberries along the power line easement fence. She and Sunny, the Buff Orp, were raised free ranging and went far and wide with their flock, but the Brahmas, one of which you can just barely see in the middle of the pic, are a year younger and didn't know exactly where they were. One had sat down, panting, because it's extremely hot and they were pretty far from any watering hole. Even Nugget and her 5 week old Delawegger chick were cruising along for the ride so we put our elderly pointer/lab mix on a leash and took her to scare the explorers back up toward the house. The power line easement is a predator highway. About 2 acres of our 5 1/3 are perimeter fenced and apparently, it's a good thing, or Reba would have led her motley crew out into more dangerous territory. I went outside our gate on that side and hiked down the power line easement road to get a picture of the free rangers from outside the fence.

Here are the bad girls:

[​IMG]

This is Nugget with her Delawegger son, who were also caught up in the adventure:

[​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Naughty girls. [​IMG]

I've been having to chase my silkie Jethro and her chicks back each night from a few acres away. Yesterday I discovered her attraction to that particular area....blackberries. Wish Jethro would realize that area is hawk heaven. CHICKENS! [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

We used to have good trails cut, but they're overgrown. Guess we need to re-cut them so at least, when Reba gets wanderlust, we can get to her better. Crazy old hens. I'm glad Reba feels good enough to travel that way--she was on the nest for awhile today, first time in ages, but no egg, so she may be on her way to relapse before she ever gets back to laying again, poor thing. At least she's enjoying herself.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I'm stepping real careful around here. Four mocassins in two days last week. Black snakes I don't mind. Mocassins are a whole 'nother story. We need to cut back some brush too, but won't catch me doing it until we get some rain and the snakes have gone back to ponds where they belong. [​IMG]

5. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    I don't blame them. Yum - Blueberries & Blackberries

6. speckledhen

Might explain the bluish poop in that pen over the last few days, LOL. We have chased her out of the woods twice before today, but didn't realize the attraction till yesterday, the patch of those tiny wild blueberries right at her mouth level all over that area. Now, she's taking the others with her so we are in for some hiking ourselves if they keep going back there or we'll have to cut some of that area.

I was worried about snakes when I heard the chick back in there--till I heard him, I didn't even realize Nugget was also in there with her baby. He'd be easy pickings for a snake.

7. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Food Food let at the food. They are beautiful.

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Bad Reba! Bag girls. And Nugget, taking the baby into that predator zone....I am so ashamedof her.

Spank them all Lock them up! [​IMG]

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    .............sigh..............I want to come back as a chicken and land in Cyn's yard.

10. Kitt

Kitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Texas
    Nuggets son looks like he's going to be a little trouble maker. sooo cute tho. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by