Newly adopted Khaki Campbell Drake vanished without a trace!

4Qwackers

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2023
NE Pennsylvania
We are totally perplexed and fear the worst. Hoping for the best tho. Either way, situation No Bueno.

After losing our or beloved 6 & 1/2 year old Khaki drake to a testicular tumor, we adopted / rescued a 1 & 1/2 yr old Khaki drake to be a new boyfriend (and 3rd set of eyes) for our two 4 & 1/2 year old girls. He was the sole survivor when his flock was killed by a fox and was living with guineas since last year. He was very sweet and was falling into his new role incredibly well. soooo well, it was almost to good to be true! We named him Fred, and he seemed to develop a special liking to our Lucy. He followed her around wherever she went and she allowed him to mate with her even tho she is pretty much done laying. He is/was pretty big guy about 5 lbs.

Things started to get a "little" complicated tho with our new baby Sabastapol goose as he is growing soo fast and getting bigger than them. But they seemed to work things out and also seemed to develop a bit of a bro thing. They would hang together when the girls were feeling broody and went off to nest in the bushes. Other than the goose taking over the pool and kicking everyone else out, the only aggressive thing happened earlier in the day when Fred was on top of Lucy mating. Mavrick the 8-9lb baby goose came over and starting biting Fred on the back trying to pull him off of Lucy probably because we figure he thought Fred was hurting her. I intervened and everyone went on their way for the rest of the day and all seemed normal.

Now, the weird thing..... He VANISHED without a trace! At about 345pm my wife checked on them and all four were "beak tucked" snoozing about a foot from the house and she commented how adorable they were and she was happy the "Flock" was getting along so well. At about 350pm, only like 5 min later, she heard the girls squawking "calling all ducks!" She rushed out and Fred was GONE. No one seemed freaked out or panicked, just calling when someone is missing. I figured since he just got all his new primary feathers and had been practicing flying and taking off from the water of the kiddie pool, that he might have got a bug up his butt and flew over the 5 ft fence down to the pond that he had been kinda eyeballing for the past 2-3 days. We only had him for 31 days and i had not taken them down there yet. Was waiting till the goose got more of his feathers. Needless to say, he was Not at the pond. He Has seemed extra anxious to go outside and would be waiting by the kennel's chain-link door where we would enter the pen to go let them outside. He would take flight right out the open door and straight to the pool!

Before anyone says fox or coyote, our yard is fortified with a 5ft high fence and the biggest thing that can get in, or out in a hurry, is a chipmunk or a squirrel (over the top jumping from a tree to tree.) Had a baby bunny in there last year and even HE couldn't get out after he grew! In the almost 2 years now at our new house with this setup, we have never really had a problem with hawks either. Maybe twice, possibly 3 times we had one come fly over low for a look-see. The girls are even trained to run for cover whenever someone yells BAD BIRD or they eyeball one lower than normal. Our old drake even had them run into the duckhouse to hide during that 2 or3 times a hawk came by and they got scared. Their duck house is actually inside our garage kennel area where they spend their nights. It is accessed thru an exterior door we block open so they can come in whenever they want a snack during the day when they are out. Dog door not yet converted.

He has been gone now for over 32hrs and no sign of him anywhere. Not even a feather! I checked every square inch of their fenced in backyard area. And i mean every square inch! under every bush and low foliage incase he was injured and hiding. The space is big, but he is not there anywhere. I even checked everywhere around the perimeter of the yard increasing the radius out to almost our whole 30 acres! Like i said, NOTHING! Not even a feather to be found.

Any thought ideas?? My main question however.... Has anyone ever heard of a adopted duck leaving to try to go back to their previous home??

Do you have a body of water beside the pond close by? if so did you check there? Something could have scared him and he took off or he just felt like flying and couldn't find his way back. Most likely if he has been with ya'll 31 days he feels like ya'll are his home.

Check with neighbors and any body of water.

Yeah, i figured a cyote could get over the heavy gauge 1.5x3" wire fence if it really wanted to, but its definitely an added barrier to add some time for a retreat. We haven't had an issue with them around the house, especially in the daytime. Tho, its never a problem... Until it IS, right? As i mentioned, i did an extensive perimeter search paying extra attention to trails an access pathways and not even a feather let alone any remnants. Spent ALL DAY out there yesterday searching. He just up and vanished in less than 5 min! Another sucky part is that our backyard camera isn't scheduled to record events until after 6pm and we don't have a DVR or cloud storage so i couldn't go back and look. :-/

I find it hard to imagine that he would be bypass our pond, let alone have the flying ability to do so. Also weird is the reaction of the girl's and the goose. They are showing NO SIGNS of any traumatic experience and are going on like nothing ever happened, like he just up and left. This is also Very unlike them! The goose also screams like a Banshee, but never did. In my limited experience of 6.5 years with ducks, I have noticed that they have quite a memory when it comes to trama to themselves or a flock member. They only just seem to miss him cuz he is not there anymore. Mav definitely misses his bro.

Gonna go visit some of the other bodies of water near by just incase he might be alive still. From his limited "life skills" i wouldn't think he wouldn't last long in the wild.
That is why i figured i'd put it out there for ideas and opinions from people that have way more experience collectively than we could ever have. All is appreciated!

IMG_4073.jpg
IMG_6910.JPEG
IMG_4163.PNG

I never thought my drake(young Muscovy) would fly either but he almost made it to the river down below us. Thankfully I was able to walk him home. I think sometimes they fly off just because they can and get lost. It happen to Muscovy all the time that’s why we have so many feral.

Yeah, i figured a cyote could get over the heavy gauge 1.5x3" wire fence if it really wanted to, but its definitely an added barrier to add some time for a retreat. We haven't had an issue with them around the house, especially in the daytime. Tho, its never a problem... Until it IS, right? As i mentioned, i did an extensive perimeter search paying extra attention to trails an access pathways and not even a feather let alone any remnants. Spent ALL DAY out there yesterday searching. He just up and vanished in less than 5 min! Another sucky part is that our backyard camera isn't scheduled to record events until after 6pm and we don't have a DVR or cloud storage so i couldn't go back and look. :-/

I find it hard to imagine that he would be bypass our pond, let alone have the flying ability to do so. Also weird is the reaction of the girl's and the goose. They are showing NO SIGNS of any traumatic experience and are going on like nothing ever happened, like he just up and left. This is also Very unlike them! The goose also screams like a Banshee, but never did. In my limited experience of 6.5 years with ducks, I have noticed that they have quite a memory when it comes to trama to themselves or a flock member. They only just seem to miss him cuz he is not there anymore. Mav definitely misses his bro.

Gonna go visit some of the other bodies of water near by just incase he might be alive still. From his limited "life skills" i wouldn't think he wouldn't last long in the wild.
That is why i figured i'd put it out there for ideas and opinions from people that have way more experience collectively than we could ever have. All is appreciated!

View attachment 3628572View attachment 3628573View attachment 3628589
I would definitely check other areas
I’m leaning more to him flying away because there was zero sign of blood or feathers. That would rule out most predators
Only ones I can think would be hawks , owl ect that could fly in snag and take off
Although often they do fight the catch right there
Again this would have your flock all on edge
Keep us posted
I truly hood you find him

Unfortunately still no sign of Fred. More looking around the property and still not even 1 feather found. The girls and the goose are definitely missing him but NO signs of traumatic experience. If something DID get him and take him, they most likely never saw it happen. It would have been THAT fast!
The girls did come down off the little hill today and suddenly both froze all runner duck long neckin looking into the swap area, (other side of the yard opposite of the pond) then started "calling all ducks" sqwackin for like 20 min. My wife was right there watching them and assumed they were calling for Fred.

As a precaution, last night and today i made an EXTENSIVE spiderweb system above their main area of the yard with monofilament fishing line. Won't keep out the bad birds, but hoping to mess with them visually so they will move on to someplace else. Going head the other direction now tomorrow to go visit the other neighbors and see if he turned up on anyone's pond. Wishful thinking, but hoping. :-/

Back
Top Bottom