Guess That Gender - Hubble’s Growth

Guess Hubble’s Gender

• Cockerel

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • Pullet

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters
@TheOddOneOut i think it’s pretty clear now he’s likely a boy but what do you think of him in general now?
I'm still not sure of his mix. I wanna say he's got the Faverolles as a dad, EE as a mom, but it would be impossible for him to have yellow legs, as pink legs are dominant. He'd have ended up with gray legs. And more leg feathers, and more than one extra toe.
I honestly have no clue.
He could have the whitish EE as a mom, yellow legged leghorn-looking rooster as a father, which would explain the yellow, especially if that EE has greenish legs. But then where would that toe and the leg fuzz come from.
Like I said....at a loss, lol.
He's got a very interesting pattern. Do update us on his growth. I think he's very cute.

Looking at the other possible dads, I can see a few other viable candidates, but if I tried to figure out whose he was I'd be getting into genetics I can't comprehend, lol. So...I'll try again when he's an adult, lol. Maybe it'll be more clear.
I can rule all the clean-legged boys minus the leghorn-y one.

Looking at the other possible dads, I can see a few other viable candidates, but if I tried to figure out whose he was I'd be getting into genetics I can't comprehend, lol. So...I'll try again when he's an adult, lol. Maybe it'll be more clear.
I can rule all the clean-legged boys minus the leghorn-y one.
Yeah, it’s confusing as all hell and he has the LEAST amount of parent options as opposed to another chick I have a thread about lol. At least Hubble’s mothers can be narrowed down to just my blue egg layers. But are you thinking these are the parents?

DC8FF88E-6090-4793-87C1-F9E34B211772.jpeg

Peaches ( the mom )

C049D034-F92C-4B60-8997-552D284F6D6C.jpeg
Drago
E1A73746-6492-44FF-A677-BC9F4437CD84.jpeg

Blueberry

85B6AB7B-341B-4A1E-A369-C08131F2DD78.jpeg

Bojingles

Ooooor Iggy, who is a light brown leghorn
DB8C3D18-0B05-428D-9DF4-63597B3C149D.jpeg

@NatJ do you want to take a whack at this one too? And I’m pretty sure Hubble is a boy; I caught him tidbitting today.
He's got a pea comb and muff/beard, right?
So at least one parent must have pea comb, and at least one must have muff/beard.

You said he's also got an extra toe, a small amount of feathering on his legs, and hatched from a blue egg.
So we're looking for one parent with some leg feathering (probably the other parent has clena legs), at least one parent with a 5th toe, and his mother must lay blue.

Do you have any hens that lay blue eggs who also have a 5th toe?
Do you have any roosters with a 5th toe, other than the Salmon Faverolles?
The chick has enough red that he should be genetically gold, which should not come from a Salmon Faverolles rooster (who is genetically silver.)

He's got a pea comb and muff/beard, right?
So at least one parent must have pea comb, and at least one must have muff/beard.

You said he's also got an extra toe, a small amount of feathering on his legs, and hatched from a blue egg.
So we're looking for one parent with some leg feathering (probably the other parent has clena legs), at least one parent with a 5th toe, and his mother must lay blue.

Do you have any hens that lay blue eggs who also have a 5th toe?
Do you have any roosters with a 5th toe, other than the Salmon Faverolles?
The chick has enough red that he should be genetically gold, which should not come from a Salmon Faverolles rooster (who is genetically silver.)
Nope, just Drago. He’s my only roo with a 5th toe but I can check just to be absolutely certain because I don’t think I ever looked too closely.

As for hens, all my blue layers don’t have any 5th toes. Again, I can look but I never noticed any add-ons.

My chickens produce confusing offspring

@Rhodebar Lover what’s your opinion on the coloration of his feathers coming in now?
I'm guessing cockerel but which cross is confusing me. I'm debating on leg color. In real life, do they look more pink or yellow? Even for a pale-legged bird with yellow skin they're not very yellow. Sometimes white skinned birds (like my White Marans) will get a yellow-tinge so that's almost what I'm wondering. Are they free-range and what food are you feeding? Sometimes lack of carotenoids can cause a pale yellow color for generically yellow legs. I really do believe he's half Faverolles but that typically would lead to white skin which I'm debating. Maybe the father carries a hidden copy of yellow-skinned gene. :confused:

3EDD7F1D-1DC8-4360-A547-FAD98EE0B02D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom