Gender and possible parentage guesses

gwells1980

Songster
Jan 3, 2023
Kentucky
Hi, I got a dozen hatching eggs from a lady who said she had 1 Cuckoo Marans Rooster and 1 Cochin Rooster and a mix of Cuckoo Marans, Easter Egger, and Cochin hens. So, in theory you should get a nice assortment of mixes with possiblities of true bred Marans and Cochins. Please look at the photos and help out if you can. I am seeing traits that don't match any of those. 5 toes on 2 of the chicks is one of the traits that none of the above parentage should have made. Also, I did see the Cochin Roo and he was a stunningly beautiful Lavender Rooster that was in all honesty, the largest rooster I have ever seen. He had to be pushing 20 pounds! (He was the reason I bought the eggs)

Also, any guesses as to the genders would be helpful as well.

They are all 1 month old in the pictures.

THANKS FOR PLAYING!

My Guess - Cochin Easter Egger Mix - Pullet -
Egg Color - Blue
Parents - Cochin Roo (obvious, he looks to much like his dad) / an Easter Egger Hen

001_Lav.jpg 002_lav.jpg

My Guess - unknown mix - Cockerel
Egg Color - Blue Egg
Parents - Cuckoo Marans Rooster / Some type of Silkie or Dorking ???? I have no idea

003_DD.jpg 004_DD.jpg

My Guess - A Silkie Mix of some type - Cockerel
Egg Color - PINK EGG
Parentage - From what she said she owned - A miracle chick :) somehow got black skin and 5 toes on one foot without a chicken present with those genes. (My wife's favorite) Also it's skin just started turning black about a week and a half ago.

005_Mom.jpg 006_Mom.jpg

My Guess -Marans Cochin - Cockerel
Egg Color - Olive Egg
Parentage - No idea but I believe one was a Cochin

008_Iz.jpg 007_Iz.jpg

My Guess - Unknown Mix - Pullet
Egg Color - Brown Egg
Parentage - Unknown for either

009_Runt.jpg 010_Runt.jpg

My Guess - Another Miracle Silkie? - 5 toes on both feet with feathered legs and a cool Mohawk on his head - Cockerel
Egg Color - Olive Egg
Parentage - Unknown

011_Dork.jpg 012_Dork.jpg

My Guess - Marans Mix - Gender ??
Egg Color - Brown Egg
Parentage - Don't know

013_CT.jpg 014_CT.jpg

Last edited:
My guess is...
Roo
Roo
Roo
Roo
Pullet
Roo
Pullet
It's early to know for sure, but in my limited experience, any hint of redness in the comb before 10 weeks is a good sign for being a rooster. 🤷‍♀️

Here are some guesses from someone who is still trying to figure this all out for herself, lol!

#1- pullet
#2- cockerel, EE mix
#3- cockerel
#4- cockerel, Marans mix
#5- pullet
#6- cockerel, EE mix
#7- no idea

believe it or not 1 pullet, the rest were roos... just my luck this time :)
Wow! Your odds may be actually worse than mine! Lol! My first hatch was 4/5 Roos. My second hatch included 4 BCMs (3/4 Roos). I also have 7 BYM chicks which are undetermined, but pretty confident at least 4 are Roos so far…).

Which one of yours turned out to be the pullet?

Back
Top Bottom