Guess the predator

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by justmeandtheflock, Jan 14, 2011.

1. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I lost a bird during the day today. This was my 1st loss to a predator. The birds were loose and it is very quiet around here on weekdays, very rural neighborhood if you can even call it that. I can't make out any tracks but the body was right next to the coop where the snow is already trampeled. The head was gone and the organs were eaten but not the meat. There was a huge pile of feathers but they were not spread out like there was a struggle. It was too clean to be a dog. We have foxes, coons, coyote, bob cats, hawks, bears, etc. Any guesses on what it was? I'm thinking hawk but if not I want to go ahead and set a trap.

2. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    I hear coons will eat the head and organs. So will hawks. so set the trap for coons.

dogs, and cats, and fox and coyotes would be prone to take the carcass with them for later eating.

3. justmeandtheflock

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Thanks for the info. I will set the trap up tonight. Not sure what I'm going to do with a racoon if I catch one though.

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Quote:Roast coon is right tasty, as is BBQ'ed.

5. kkaymci55

kkaymci55 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2008
    Puyallup, Washington
    Quote:Coonskin cap, of course!

6. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    My guess would be a possum. A hawk would leave a bird with the breast eaten and the body laying in a huge ring of feathers. The coon attacks that I have had just about all of the bird was eaten...everything except the legs. Let us know what you catch!

7. justmeandtheflock

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    My family would not be very happy with me if I tried to serve them a racoon and we already own 2 coon skin caps that must be hidden from the 2 coon hounds at all times, lol I'm more worried about dispatching the bugger so I am hoping I don't actually catch anything.

Trap is set. I put it right by where I found the bird today.

8. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by