Guess what I saw

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hotwings, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I am hoping I am posting this in the right place. Sat on my weekly visits to Freebie's farm I was informed of a new visitor to her flock. Denise's brother spotted it and thought it was a wild turkey! By his discription Denise thought it was a guinea bird. Well someone said while looking down at the barn that the new bird showed up again! I looked out and sure enough it was a guinea bird! I went down to get a closer look. I am sorry I don't have a digital camera so no pics. It was an adult pearl grey guinea. My theory is he escaped or the owners got fed up with him and kicked him out. I am not an expert on guinea but is it normal for them to stray from their own flocks? He/she seems to been accepted by her(Denise) birds. He makes alot of noise always chirping, so I can see why people would get tired of them if they had about 6 of them chirping away all the time ha ha. Maybe her barred rocks think he is just a ugly barred rock visitor. Denise said he roosted in the barn's rafters sat night. I don't know if he is still there yet.

On another note I like to add to this post that their orphan piglets are doing fine. They have been moved to the the chicken nursey. I got to hole one and it squeled so loud I thought it would break my eardrums. They are thriving on the goats milk in a pan. Denise buy goats milk in a powdered form and mixes it with water and heats it up. She told me it costs $11.00 for a gallon! I told her she should buy her own dairy goats for that price.
  2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*oh,yeah! goat's milk is expensive!! It was a lot even 25 yrs. ago when I was having to buy it for my younger son as an infant. Makes you hairy as a goat, too-- If the grown version is any example. . . [​IMG]
  3. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    yes, we have been adopted, that bird roosted in the barn with the chickens again last night. I don't know how to tell the difference in the boy or girl guineas, so I am not sure if it is male or female. But all seems to be well with it joining the flock. I hope it brings no disease with it. It just came out of the woods and started haning out with them.
  4. CampineBuddy

CampineBuddy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2008
    thats funny about the turky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by