Guess what?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 4 Love of Baby Chickens, Jul 15, 2010.

1. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got a broody!!!! [​IMG] My BR hen named Chili. She's sitting on 11 eggs I set under her at 3:30 PM yesterday afternoon. [​IMG] She's setting on 8 pure RIR's, 2 BR's eggs (because I have another BR hen that is covered by my RIR roo so that'll be BSL chicks if they hatch), & a light blue egg from my champion EE hen (also crossed by my RIR roo). [​IMG]

I can't wait!!! I haven't had any baby chicks hatch since almost 11 months ago. And I haven't had any baby chicks to watch and take care of since my BR babies were in the brooder in my room. [​IMG] I just love baby chicks. [​IMG]

Here's the proud mama. This is the most recent picture I have of her.

[​IMG]

*Note* I'll post more pictures of Chili and her eggs as time goes by. And I'll post pictures of her with her chicks when they hatch in 20 days or so. [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Wonderful! I had an incubator for a while, and I just do not like incubating at all......so I sold it. I'm hoping I'll get a broody next spring...I've got a GLW rooster, but he's not mature enough to mate. Still a little guy.

Love your BR! I've got one too. She's the roosters girlfriend because they're the same age. LOL

Hope all goes well for you!

Sharon

3. Lesalynn

Lesalynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Darnell, Louisiana
    Congrats!! Barred Rocks happen to be one of my favorite breed. The majority of my flock is made up of them. They are the best layers I have. Very sociable, too. Good luck with your eggs. [​IMG]

4. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

Thanks. [​IMG] I prefer using a broody because you know that the eggs stay the right temputure (<------------- sp?) all the time.

5. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratz on your broody! I can't wait for my silkies to mature and get broody. I hear they are terrific! But a dedicated momma of any breed can do the job better than we can with our technology, for sure!

6. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    Good luck! I have three broody chickens right now and three incubators. I will use my broody hens first.
    Have a happy hatch! [​IMG]

7. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

Thanks!! Chili would not come off the nest when I fed the chickens this morning so I had to drag her broody butt off with her squawking in protest. [​IMG] She is so stubborn. But a great mama.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by