Guesses on breed or gender

Its a male and auctions are a great place to pick up diseases so I would keep an eye on them because most of them are sick.
He does look like a roo in some ways but his comb and wattles haven't grown or gotten redder. The neck feathers (saddle) seem rounded but he has the lavender gene that makes the feathers loose, a little like silkie, so its difficult to say? I forget the name of the gene that causes this in lavender?
This pic is through dirty glass, sorry...
20211128_173129.jpg

Btw, I don't buy the sick ones at auction. lol....but nobody can know for sure. Auction birds come from many locations. In the spring, I am planning on selling some at auction. Thanks though, I think that one should be cautious regardless of where they buy them.
20211119_081502.jpg

Last edited:
ps...still no crowing. I was raising some of my Faverolles in my basement, in case something happened to those being raised outside? Both groups are doing fine. Indoor group are much bigger! Faverolles were bred to be kept in small spaces, which is good for me because it is freezing outside and now I can't put the indoor birds outside. So, they are going to spend the winter in the basement! ...along with the Lavender bird!
They do get sunlight through door and large windows, the "basement" could also be considered a first floor(?), and I provide added light during the day!

ps...still no crowing. I was raising some of my Faverolles in my basement, in case something happened to those being raised outside? Both groups are doing fine. Indoor group are much bigger! Faverolles were bred to be kept in small spaces, which is good for me because it is freezing outside and now I can't put the indoor birds outside. So, they are going to spend the winter in the basement! ...along with the Lavender bird!
They do get sunlight through door and large windows, the "basement" could also be considered a first floor(?), and I provide added light during the day!
I have 2 week old chicks outside with nothing but a heat lamp...the dust from them inside would kill me all winter

I have 2 week old chicks outside with nothing but a heat lamp...the dust from them inside would kill me all winter
I have chickens outside with no heat but if I took these out now, they'd be frozen by morning because they need to acclimatize.
...also, I have a really big place. lol

Update: This thread is close to final. No pic, but it looks like a roo's saddle feathers have developed?

Back
Top Bottom