Guinea and Quails

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rwwjsw, Aug 4, 2010.

1. rwwjsw

rwwjsw Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    I know you cannot keep chickens and quail together but can you keep guinea keets and baby quail together I have 1 brooder put a row of wire through it and made 2 sections but I still have them crossing over some how they seem to get along very well together but what is the chance of desease. I only want to do it through the heater time once I remove the heat they will be seperated.
    Thanks,

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Imo--- Bad Mojo Here.

Chickens, Guineas, Domestic Waterfowl, Turkeys( Not Sure About Peafowl-- Havent Really Had Any Exposure To These Speces)--- All Carry Same Illnesses, And Some A Few More (ie- Turkeys And Black Head....) As Do Quail( Enteritis, Encephalitis, In Some Parts Of The World Newcastles Disease), But Gamebirds Are The Biggest Loosers When Mixed They Are Just Very Much More Susceptible To The Domestic Poultry Diseases. AND THEY DO NOT RESPOND WELL TO TREATMENT AS WELL MAKING THEM MORE DIFICULT TO CURE.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I agree with JJ, each bird variety (pheasants, guineas, quail, chicken) should be in separate brooders so that they don't transmit diseases to each other.

4. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    I currently have 12 Guinea keets (3 weeks old) and 55 Coturnix chicks (3 1/2 weeks old) in an outdoor hutch together and 6 one week old Serama chicks and 59 one week old Coturnix chicks in a brooder together in the house. Is it ideal? No, but neither is more than 2 weeks of 100+ degree temps when it too HOT to keep chicks in the barn [​IMG] All of my normal brooder are literal hot boxes, so until the weather breaks, they'll cohabitate.

5. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE WE ALL HAVE TO ROLL THE DICE.... MANY TIMES YOU WIN, SOME TIMES YOU LOSE. I HOPE IT WORKS OUT FOR YOU [​IMG]

6. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    I have about 15 hens ages vary. with the ones I got about 4 mo. ago when I got into chickens I got a turkey when I went to the feed store they were all together turkeys and chicks I got the turkey who we found out is a beautiful tom ! with about 8 hens he thinks those are his ladies I can't put him by his self he would go crazy. I had no idea at first that they needed to be separated. I can't dream of that now.

7. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I have heard you can mix pheasants and quail, but I don't think you can with guineas.

8. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:THIS IS TRUE, BOTH HAVE THE SAME STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES TOWARD THE SAME POTENTIAL ILLNESSES, BUT UNLESS DOING SO IN A LARGE WELL PLANTED AVIARY WITH A FEW CONCRETE BOMB SHELTERS ITS BAD BUSINESS AS THERE WILL BE BLOOD [​IMG] THEY USUALLY DONT MIX TO WELL.... THE LAWS OF PHYSICS KINDA SET THE LIL QUAIL UP TO LOOSE IN A TOE TO TOE MATCH WITH A PHEASANT. BUT BIOLOGICALLY SPEAKING YOU ARE CORRECT.

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Guineas are more vicious in my opinion. They can attack chickens and quail. It's really a judgement call.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by