Guinea Fowl are Attacking my Rooster!

wornoutmomto3

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 6, 2014
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
My chickens and ducks have been peacefully free ranging in an area known for serious predators without incident. Predators such as coyotes, foxes, raccoon, snakes, spiders, opossums, etc. One of my distant neighbors (down the road a bit) released a few of his guinea fowl for various reasons. They made their way from his extended property onto mine and attacked my rooster, who now has a bad wound in his comb. This neighbor says he expects predators to possibly end these birds because he doesn't know how to coop them back up. Would it be wrong if I became that predator? He also said we could have one if we wanted. I don't want to kill the birds, but I also don't want my birds getting hurt either. Are there any natural deterrents that discourage guineas from trespassing?

I had guineas for a year, and had to re-home them because they constantly attacked my chickens. I did not have a rooster at that point, but I doubt that would have mattered. I did not have room or money for a dedicated run for the guineas, and I did not want to keep them cooped up in their pen all winter so I sold them on Craigslist, and peace returned to my coop!

I would not eliminate them, but can you trap them in a fenced in area, your garage etc? Mine were challenging to capture, but not impossible. I would herd them into the coop, and then open the door to their pen and herd them into the pen.

But I will say that when I had the guineas, my dogs did not have a single tick on them. I got rid of the guineas, and now I have to pull ticks off my dogs, and me for that matter!

Possibly the rooster decided to show the guineas who's the boss- always a mistake when the 'other' are guineas.

It is normal in all poultry for the winner(s) to remind the loser who is the boss for a bit after an incident. Normally they let up on reminders and they more or less coexist allright. Perhaps after a while the rooster will stay away from the guineas and they won't hound him.

If that happens, perhaps things will end up not too bad.

However so you have the truth- some flocks of guineas do not give up grudges and continue to harass pretty bad for months on end.. be prepared for that.

Guinea fowl are great eating. They can also exhibit a 'gang' mentality, and I would be very surprised if they do not come back and attack your rooster again - very possibly killing him. Eat them first.

I witnessed that "gang mentality." It was four guineas to one rooster.

All I have is my husbands slingshot, but if they try anything again I may have to...

I read somewhere that guineas are attracted to their reflection. Could I humanely trap them using a mirror as bait?

This neighbor says he expects predators to possibly end these birds because he doesn't know how to coop them back up. Would it be wrong if I became that predator? He also said we could have one if we wanted. I don't want to kill the birds, but I also don't want my birds getting hurt either. Are there any natural deterrents that discourage guineas from trespassing?
You should check up on state laws, but there are a bunch of states that treat things like these as basically wild pest animals - IE, they're not his when they're not on his property. I'd eat them, personally, if they were attacking my animals/eating crops.

Back
Top Bottom