Guinea fowl - Does/can anyone eat them or their eggs?

The longest I've kept Guinea eggs in the fridge is a couple months, it's been impossible to keep them any longer than that because they get eaten. The fridge gradually pulls moisture from the eggs so the longer they are stored the bigger the air cells get, but I'd imagine with the shells being so thick that clean but unwashed Guinea eggs (with the bloom left on them) would keep for a lot longer than anything store bought.

Never ate them but heard they are great for tick remediation...

Interested in getting some for NJ and Pa tick control. Any suggestions how to get and keep healthy?
Thanks!

They are seasonal layers, so you should see eggs from your Hens this Spring. They may not use nesting boxes (if you have them) or lay in the coop tho, usually if they have the choice they will lay their eggs out in the bushes or in some other well hidden private place. So be sure to keep track of your Hens... once they accumulate a pile of eggs somewhere they will typically go broody on them and then they will be at risk of being eaten (both the eggs and the Hens) by predators or even loose dogs.

ETA: Guinea Hens can lay as young as 14-15 wks, depending on the particular bird, weather/season/time of year, diet etc). Your Hens are definitely old enough to start laying for you this Spring.

Last edited:
They are seasonal layers, so you should see eggs from your Hens this Spring. They may not use nesting boxes (if you have them) or lay in the coop tho, usually if they have the choice they will lay their eggs out in the bushes or in some other well hidden private place. So be sure to keep track of your Hens... once they accumulate a pile of eggs somewhere they will typically go broody on them and then they will be at risk of being eaten (both the eggs and the Hens) by predators or even loose dogs.

ETA: Guinea Hens can lay as young as 14-15 wks, depending on the particular bird, weather/season/time of year, diet etc). Your Hens are definitely old enough to start laying for you this Spring.

Thanks, that explains a lot. both hens were March & May babies, as well as the cocks.We're in Indiana so I am sure the weather plays a role. I Plan on taking the eggs and hatching, I want a bigger flock
big_smile.png
Had a real hard time finding these guys.

Last edited:
I usually find a few early eggs in the coop that clues me into the fact they are starting to lay (found my first 2 eggs of the season in one of my coops today in fact... 3 wks earlier than usual, probably due to our screwy weather here... I am so not ready to start collecting eggs yet!). But just to make sure they are truly getting into laying regularly I will keep them in the pen/coop until late afternoon a few day before letting them out, just to confirm they are indeed laying. And if they are then I will continue the late lock-up routine so I don't have to do much egg hunting. My Hens like to nest in the deep thistle patches here... and it's not much fun for me climbing thru that stuff looking for eggs, lol.

I usually find a few early eggs in the coop that clues me into the fact they are starting to lay (found my first 2 eggs of the season in one of my coops today in fact... 3 wks earlier than usual, probably due to our screwy weather here... I am so not ready to start collecting eggs yet!). But just to make sure they are truly getting into laying regularly I will keep them in the pen/coop until late afternoon a few day before letting them out, just to confirm they are indeed laying. And if they are then I will continue the late lock-up routine so I don't have to do much egg hunting. My Hens like to nest in the deep thistle patches here... and it's not much fun for me climbing thru that stuff looking for eggs, lol.

Ugh no kidding! We have raspberry patches in the woods that would be my luck! They seem to stay glued tight to our flock of chickens, but i know that will change if one does go broody. My prissy did once already, and guarded the golf balls with her life! But she picked a chicken nest which really surprised me. I finally had to take the balls away, she would pick fights and not let my hens in to lay. She is an odd one tho, very aggressive.

She'll probably be a great broody Momma if she lays a clutch of her own (instead of guarding golfballs) and sets on them long enough to hatch them out.They literally turn into Tasmanian Guinea She-Devils when you try to mess with their eggs or young keets, lol.

This ol' biddy was MEAN!!! (But I took all her keets anyway, lol). Mine mine mine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom