Guinea fowl feed and behaviour?

J&Kfeatheredfowl

Songster
Oct 7, 2017
Mansfield
Hello, I have 2 question.

1. Do Guineas eat the same as hens? I googled it but I want to be sure..

2. The 2nd question is what are they like around calmer birds, like silkies? Do they get along?

Hello, I have 2 question.

1. Do Guineas eat the same as hens? I googled it but I want to be sure..

2. The 2nd question is what are they like around calmer birds, like silkies? Do they get along?

Adult guineas can do well on a good quality feed the same as chickens. The keets should be fed a quality high protein turkey/gamebird starter.

There are too many variables to say how the guineas will react around silkies. Some of those variables depend on how the guineas were raised and how many guineas you have. Guineas are a flock bird and do better in large numbers. I never recommend having fewer than ten birds.

Read the Raising Guinea Fowl 101 thread and pay particular attention to posts made by @PeepsCA

Thanks for the information, I was planning on getting 2 young girls, and raising them with my silkies and other birds
First, you can't buy sexed keets. They are only sold straight run. I think it is a bad idea to only get a couple of guineas since they are a flock bird and their habits are not the same as any other poultry.

Guineas can seem to get along well with other poultry right up until the first breeding season. At that time they seem to go nuts with their behavior. Imprinting the guinea keets on other poultry such as chickens removes their ability to differentiate between themselves and the chickens. When they start their guinea behaviors the other poultry do not understand what is going on and can become extremely stressed by the guineas. If guineas are raised with guineas and kept in sufficient numbers they will not bother other poultry but will take their guinea behaviors out on their other flock members.

The guinea hens are by far noisier than the males. Having lone guinea hens can lead to non stop "buckwheating" as they relentlessly call for a mate that will never show up.

Thanks for the information, i will consider buying more and selling off extra boys, how many do you suggest?
Unless you are able to buy them locally, most online hatcheries have a minimum of 15 to 25 because of their small size. I have found that keets are really easy to sell around here. I seldom have to advertise to sell keets.

Some people seem to be able to start sexing keets at 4 weeks old but I have not had much success sexing them until they are 6 weeks old. Guineas are not like other fowl in that the ideal number is supposedly 1:1 for the hen to cock ratio. I like to have a couple of more hens than cocks but have seen cases where the cocks greatly out number the hens and it worked out fine.

I try to keep a minimum of at least 10 guineas at anytime. I currently have 13. Mine are housed separately from the chickens and turkeys but do on occasion get to free range together without any issues. Previously I had raised guineas with the chickens and turkeys. At that time none of my roosters or turkeys had any tail feathers due to attacks from the guineas. It is hilarious to watch a guinea latch onto a turkey's tail or wing feather and go for a "sleigh ride" as the turkey tries to get away. It is highly stressful for the chickens and turkeys.

Unless you are able to buy them locally, most online hatcheries have a minimum of 15 to 25 because of their small size. I have found that keets are really easy to sell around here. I seldom have to advertise to sell keets.

Some people seem to be able to start sexing keets at 4 weeks old but I have not had much success sexing them until they are 6 weeks old. Guineas are not like other fowl in that the ideal number is supposedly 1:1 for the hen to cock ratio. I like to have a couple of more hens than cocks but have seen cases where the cocks greatly out number the hens and it worked out fine.

I try to keep a minimum of at least 10 guineas at anytime. I currently have 13. Mine are housed separately from the chickens and turkeys but do on occasion get to free range together without any issues. Previously I had raised guineas with the chickens and turkeys. At that time none of my roosters or turkeys had any tail feathers due to attacks from the guineas. It is hilarious to watch a guinea latch onto a turkey's tail or wing feather and go for a "sleigh ride" as the turkey tries to get away. It is highly stressful for the chickens and turkeys.
Thanks for the advice, will most likely be buying more or turning my attention towards new breeds of chickens or waterfowl

Has anyone found any info on essential oils for Guinea or other herbs that are good for them ..as natural antibiotics etc...
My adult guineas have access at all times to a quality 20% protein layer feed, free choice oyster shell and fresh water. Everything else they get is by free ranging. My guineas are healthy, disease free and minor injuries heal quickly.

My adult guineas have access at all times to a quality 20% protein layer feed, free choice oyster shell and fresh water. Everything else they get is by free ranging. My guineas are healthy, disease free and minor injuries heal quickly.
That was what I was planning to do, with mine also ..they are still just under 2 weeks old at this time..and I've seen posts on origano having so many benefits.. I was thinking if it's something so heathy for them why not add it to their menu..if not I wouldn't bother..So I am just looking for any input or knowledge on the subject..So thank you for yours ☺

Back
Top Bottom