Guinea Fowl Fighting

1 female out of the 5 guineas. Currently penned in run cause I have not trained them to be free range yet. Working on the training BUT after fight I'm a day behind letting one of them out of the run during the day.
Ouch that’s a rough ratio! Maybe there’s another female in the group that hasn’t declared itself yet? Would it be possible to acquire more guineas? Larger groups have better dynamics, IMO, and that should give you some more females. In the meantime, I agree with raingarden that you are going to need to get them free ranging asap. Even a few hours of supervised time per day would help.

Ouch that’s a rough ratio! Maybe there’s another female in the group that hasn’t declared itself yet? Would it be possible to acquire more guineas? Larger groups have better dynamics, IMO, and that should give you some more females. In the meantime, I agree with raingarden that you are going to need to get them free ranging asap. Even a few hours of supervised time per day would help.

Thus far entire flock is out and about free ranging, yippeee, they look happy. Wouldn't you think a female guinea would have made herself heard by two months of age ??? I can always hope for an extra in the group. Will my flock accept a new female guinea? And with that said, where could I purchase a young female guinea? Many thanks for all the advice, as stated this is my first fowl adventure...........an enjoyable ride...... ;)

Thus far entire flock is out and about free ranging, yippeee, they look happy. Wouldn't you think a female guinea would have made herself heard by two months of age ??? I can always hope for an extra in the group. Will my flock accept a new female guinea? And with that said, where could I purchase a young female guinea? Many thanks for all the advice, as stated this is my first fowl adventure...........an enjoyable ride...... ;)
I don't normally hear buckwheating from youngsters until they are at least 4 months old.

Wouldn't you think a female guinea would have made herself heard by two months of age??
One of my hens that hatched last year up to a couple months was what I think the term is "non-binary":cool:" . No vocalization what so ever,no bustle and decent size. She finally started to squeak out a buckwheat and I saw her on a nest. Two months isn't set in stone.

Last edited:
You could very well have more girls in your group! :fl Lots of people add to their existing guinea flock, but keets (unsexed) are much more easily acquired. In the US, you can still acquire keets now and should be able to more easily integrate with these youngsters versus adults next year: Search this Forum for integration tips and experiences. Most people use a “look don’t touch” approach to get the groups used to each other.

You could very well have more girls in your group! :fl Lots of people add to their existing guinea flock, but keets (unsexed) are much more easily acquired. In the US, you can still acquire keets now and should be able to more easily integrate with these youngsters versus adults next year: Search this Forum for integration tips and experiences. Most people use a “look don’t touch” approach to get the groups used to each other.
My adorable little guineas, (sob's), are quite the characters. Appreciate their bug control, thoroughly enjoy their entertainment contributions, BUT, love of my fowl flock is my turkeys. Keeping :fl 's there's another female in the flock. Recently moved here from
Colorado with 4 dogs, 3 horses, a hubby & all the work making our property a home for all of us...........NO MO birds:gig ( especially since I'm a fowl newbie) Do look forward to the education your sharing with me, it works my brain instead of my back. THANK YOU :caf

Back
Top Bottom