Guinea fowl incubation

Candled today.. I saw movement.. Was super kewl.. They are moving around.. Sooooo happy.. 2 of the 4 I wasn't sure about.. Are still unfertilized .. I now have over 20 babies... :D guineas are still laying .. I am now tempted to incubate those too.. Because they still haven't sat on them.. And they just haven't stopped laying ..It's just a commitment issue.. Another month.. Have to think about it ...

Yay! Moving embryos!

Guinea Hens lay Spring thru Fall here, and I'm going to assume your Hens will lay until the temps cool and the days get shorter there just like they do here... if so you'll have a LOT more eggs to collect, for quite a bit longer unless all of your Guinea Hens go broody on clutches of eggs. You could mark the eggs that are in the nests and collect the fresh ones each day for eating if you don't want/need to hatch a bunch of keets. Not sure what the market is like there but maybe you could advertise fertile Guinea eggs for sale? I sell a lot of keets and fertile eggs each season... helps pay the feed bill!

Great ideas.. I must try selling them.. Fall starts in march.. So I have about 4 months of guinea eggs..but I want them all for myself :lol: Honestly there were wild guinea on our sugar cane farm.. But poachers wiped them out.. If this wasn't Africa , I would hatch them all and release them.. But poaching is pretty bad.. Tc

Latest update 15 eggs are going into lockdown ... They all are goods to go.. With lil moving embyos .. Humidity will be between 65% and 70% .. Can't wait for Sunday!! :D

Wow is it day 25 already? That went by fast.
Good luck
fl.gif
... and we expect pics!

I know, I had to go look thru all my hatching pics from the last few seasons, trying to "get my fix", lol. It settled me down some but... at the same time it's making me want to order some chicken eggs to incubate/hatch just to tide me over, lol.

No No No!!!
smack.gif
Must...not...get...the...incubators...out...of...the...closet...'til...Spring!!!

Day 26 first keet is out.. He is taking a while to stand.. How long will he/she take to dry up..? When should I take him out of the incubator? What do I feed him when he is out of the incubator.?.Other eggs are shaking but no piping yet...? It's was all amazing.. We had a crowd of people watching the hatching of the first keet.. Last question he is breathing rather rapidly is that normal? Any replies will be appreciated.. Thanks in advance!!

Sorry this is a late reply Fosterley... been dealing with storm clean up

I leave my keets in the 'bator until they are completely fluffed, dried and bulldozing around the incubator, but many people suggest leaving the keets in the 'bator until the entire hatch is over with. Wet keets help keep the humidity high and their peeping also stimulates the other keets to hatch. When I do take keets out I try to take several out at once (not just one at a time), and only when there is a break in the hatching. I do not open the incubator while any other keets are pipped, zipped and hatching. Opening the incubator during a hatch risks drying out the membranes inside the other hatching eggs, which can suffocate the keets or stick to the unhatched keets badly enough that they expire trying to hatch. Once the keets do hatch it can take them a few hours to get to their feet and start moving around (but some hit the ground running, lol). Usually they are pretty exhausted and breathing heavy from the struggle to hatch, so this is normal. Keets can stay in the 'bator and go 24-48 hours without food and water just fine, since they've just absorbed the remainder of the yolk prior to hatching. Once I move them into the brooder I feed my keets high protein Turkey/Pheasant/Game bird Starter, with at least 27-28% protein in it, and just sprinkle some on a paper towel or towel in front of them for the first couple of days. Make sure to quickly dip their beaks in their water a few times so they get a few swallows... and I always put a layer of marbles or clean stones in the waterer so the keets can't get in it and drown. They need bedding that gives them good footing, nothing slippery (NO NEWSPAPER!). Old towels or the rubberized shelf liner both work great (I prefer the shelf liner, I get it at the dollar stores here). Coarse straw or hay without seeds or leaves will work too. Shavings are risky because the keets can eat them, get impacted and die from that, so I avoid shavings until they are about 2 wks old and very familiar with their starter feed and feeder so there is less risk of them eating the shavings.

Congrats on your hatch, and getting to watch, hope you have a few more keets by now!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom