Guinea fowl nesting habits?

boerekind82

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 4, 2013
My guineas have a "common" nest, all the hens seem to share one nest. At least that's the only one I know of. It has over 20 eggs in it. For the last two nights one of the hens sat on the nest all night long, but then gets up during the day to free range with the rest of them. Is this normal guinea behavior? Will she start nesting all the time soon? I'm worried that staying on the eggs at night warms them up but during the day when she's gone they get cold. Will they ruin this way? This is my first time raising guineas.

I think it's pretty common. My girls all share a nest, too, inside their coop....and right now it's up to over 30 eggs. The past two days, my "experienced" Mama has sat on the nest box at night......but still goes out to forage with the others during the day. It probably has something to do with the chillier nights we've been getting, while the days are still warm. I"m expecting her to go broody any day now with that amount of eggs. It's amazing how these girls know exactly what to do......but they do!

Back
Top Bottom