guinea fowl question

domromer

Songster
12 Years
May 11, 2007
Flagstaff,AZ
I've always liked the look of Guinea fowl and would like to get some. I've done some research and i can't find much info on them.

1. Do the require different care then chickens?

2. Can they live with chickens?

3. Are they friendly like chickens?

Any other Guinea info would be greatly appreciated.

Here are my Guineas.......
big_smile.png
I am not an expert by any means of the word...........I just added Guineas to my flock......they were 7 weeks old , now about 10 weeks old.......they don't fight with my chickens or roosters........they behave the same as any of the new chickens I add, the pecking order is established with the Guineas ending up in the middle of the 3 sets....... they only chase my 6 week old barred rock chicks
roll.png
....no problems....they have their own feed , but eat everyone elses too......and vice versa...I don't have the space or money to have a separate coop for all of mine.... SO I would say go for it...see what happens....... I love Guineas.....throw in some grass clippings and you just about have a party on your hands SO fun to watch , good luck to you
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Here's my experience:
1. They ate chick starter and then switch to laying crumbles when they got older. They drink out of the chicken waterers. They sleep on the roosts in the coop with the chickens at night.
2. Yes. They may be a bit snippy to the chickens if you get them as older birds, but mine were 7 weeks old and intergrated nicely. They actually follow my silkies everywhere-of all the breeds we have they follow the smallest-go figure
hmm.png
3. Mine are curious and mostly calm around myself and my children, but they do not like to be handled.
Others may have different experiences that vary. I do love my guineas even though I can't pet them
smile.png

Not to be a smart ass, but what is the purpose of having them if you can't cuddle them? Are they good layers? Do you even eat the eggs? Are they good for meat? Sorry if this questions are sort or broad. I really couldn't find much info about them on-line. They don't seem to have the same following as backyard chickens.

Anyone have any pics of thier guineas?

Here are mine............and I just like the way they act and look....dont know about eggs....they are more comfortable than they were,,but I cannot cuddle most of my chickens either.........
Picture273.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
They like to hide nests and hatch out chicks... so you can eat the eggs if you can find the nests.

I've heard their meat is some of the best tasting out there. All dark meat.

They are often used as hawk detectors and guards. They make a ruckus when disturbed and eat LOTS of bugs. Often used as pest control.

I want some too. Anyone in WA want to split an order of 30?

Our neighbor has some and all of us around have had no problems with ticks. Another neighbor always have to have exterminators out to spray for ticks but not this year and he's not even the ones with the guineas!!!! So if you live in an area with ticks they are well worth any money.

jackie

Are they very noisy? We can't have roosters in my neighborhood.

What about housing? Are they more sensititve to heat and cold than hens?

Back
Top Bottom