Guinea genealogy chart

Mixed flock enthusiast

Crossing the Road
5 Years
May 21, 2018
Stillwater, OK
So, the other day, I posted about the love em and leave em mating habits of our guinea flock. Then I started thinking that this would make more sense as a chart of some kind... and then I wasted a few perfectly good hours of time on this genealogy chart. The style is mostly human based - I had to find biblical genealogies for the harem aspects of the template. :gig

Attachments

• 157A6597-A765-4D70-B071-6624861FE989.png
    157A6597-A765-4D70-B071-6624861FE989.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 29
Mixed has to much time on her hands:th Which got me wasting some of mine reading about genetics and I found this site
http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator .
Has anybody used it for guineas or any poultry?
Guinea Fowl calculator

Based on the info section of the calculator, the person that input the data does not understand guinea fowl genetics. They only allow for pearled and semi pearled with no option for no pearls. They make unfounded claims about how the white genes work.

It does claim in the original site that you can set up your own version with your own parameters. I believe that there is too much unknown about guinea fowl color genetics for anyone to come up with a workable color calculator..

Guinea Fowl calculator

Based on the info section of the calculator, the person that input the data does not understand guinea fowl genetics. They only allow for pearled and semi pearled with no option for no pearls. They make unfounded claims about how the white genes work.

It does claim in the original site that you can set up your own version with your own parameters. I believe that there is too much unknown about guinea fowl color genetics for anyone to come up with a workable color calculator..
I can't argue with how complicated it is and this site seems to over simplify it. My eyes were bleeding after just a 1/2 hour on it. Maybe somebody could after years of trial and error get something pretty close. But the question is, do you really know which cock breeds which hen unless you are watching them 24/7 ?

I can't argue with how complicated it is and this site seems to over simplify it. My eyes were bleeding after just a 1/2 hour on it. Maybe somebody could after years of trial and error get something pretty close. But the question is, do you really know which cock breeds which hen unless you are watching them 24/7 ?
I imagine a person would need to have multiple individual runs to keep pairs separate to ensure partners aren’t being swapped or bred by other males.
I don’t even attempt to know genetics. It gives me an instant headache. 😝

If you notice one particular cock that does not appear to have a mate getting chased a lot during breeding season, you can pretty much guarantee that the reason he is being chased is because he is sneaking in and breeding hens belonging to other cocks.

I’m pretty confident in my group of who is breeding whom... Much harder for me is figuring out which eggs are which, since they lay in communal nests...

Mixed has to much time on her hands:th Which got me wasting some of mine reading about genetics and I found this site
http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator .
Has anybody used it for guineas or any poultry?
I wish it meant I had time on my hands instead of that I was procrastinating... Stayed up until 3 AM last night grading exams that had to be done!!! The passed out on her feet emoji fits well! :th

If you notice one particular cock that does not appear to have a mate getting chased a lot during breeding season, you can pretty much guarantee that the reason he is being chased is because he is sneaking in and breeding hens belonging to other cocks.
This past summer I had 10 females and 4 males, so no unmated males. Although there was broodiness associated mate swapping, I really don’t think that there was much otherwise sneaky mating going on. Ghost has 6 girls, more than he can keep up with well. Kingpin seems to really stick to his mate and hardly want to be around the other birds, though he has returned to his bros now that his girl is broody... I thought that Victor was putting the moves on Pearl, and they might have gotten together, but Pearl seems firmly back with Ghost now. And Bruiser could presumably have more girls if he wanted, but just hasn’t seemed interested. Nonetheless, I’ve seen some spectacular chases between the cocks! I have no idea what sets it off: I will just have a crazy cock running past me full speed and know that the chase is on! They havent chased in a few weeks; I think hormones are winding down for fall. I’m only getting a few eggs a day now. of course I’ve also had 4 hens go broody in the last few weeks...

Back
Top Bottom