Guinea hatched 18 Keats

rooster0209

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
North Dakota
My last hen hatched a batch of 18 babies! She had her nest hidden really well (but I knew where it was) She was well covered behind a log and under brush,but I was still worried. Sunday morning she topped the log with the keats following her and the Rooster bringing up the rear.

I hearded them to the coop for safety, but mom and dad refused to follow. I have all the babies in the coop, in a brooder, under the light and one side screened off just in case momma comes back. Mom and dad have yet to come back in.
sad.png

I feel just awful taking them from her but last night we had 2" of rain and its 50F out. She would have taken them out to eat in the wet grass and they would all be dead.

They are all so cute!

Guineas are hard to catch! Fast little buggers!
wink.png
I catch my guineas with a large fishing net--get DH to help me kind of corner them and then swoop in with the net, which I've rarely had to do. You may want to try catching her with a net, set up a safe little place for mama, so she feels safe with her babies and undisturbed as much as possible. Guineas are crazy, but I love them! lol Thanks to Marlinchaser, I got 6 little beauties from him. They are now full grown, free range and do an AMAZING job of keeping ticks and mosquitos off my property. My son got Lyme's this past year from a tick bite, so we are extra nervous about the ticks. Good luck in whatever you decide. I do think you made the best call to bring the babies in...there would have been casualties for sure!

Last edited:
Here are the babies almost grown up. They are checking out the sunshine after several days of rain and cold. I managed to raise 16 of the orginal 18 so far.

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0883.jpg

Silly mom started another nest. I found it with 18 eggs in it already. She was starting to set, so I moved her and the eggs into the coop. She is really upset about it and I hope she continues to set. It is just getting to darn cold already for her to be in the elements all night

Back
Top Bottom