guinea help

magentamomma

Songster
10 Years
Oct 26, 2009
Fayetteville
I recently inherited some baby guineas, 2 hens. I have been told that they are aggressive towards chickens as they age. Are they a problem in a mixed flock. what are some of your experiences. Right now they think they are baby chickens, but... I won,t be able to let theem free range in the near future, too many predators.

my guineas free range with chickens without any problems. usually the chickens run off the guineas. thats my experience with them together. maybe my guineas are sissies. i think as long as they are raised together they should be fine.

Thanks. I met a local chicken junkie who hates guineas. She said the ones she had ate her chicks. Right now they are just so sweet and fun that I don't really want to get rid of them. My girls lov ehtem too, but my first loyalty is to my chooks.

My chickens and my guineas coop separately but free range in the same space. They are a little wary of each other but that's it. Sometimes a chicken will chase them around and sometimes the guineas come swooping in on the chickens. Mostly the chickens just appear to be bemused by the guineas, like they're not sure what that bunch of aliens is doing here! Lots of people have chickens and guineas together. I'm sure there are incidents but if it was mostly a bad mix I don't think so many people would do it. Good luck!
smile.png

mine free range and the chickens get some time out - never had a problem with them- i did keep the keets in a mini run in the chicken run, so they are used to seeing each other- they weren't raised in with the chickins

Back
Top Bottom