Guinea hen 6 months old isn't standing up

Tootsie

Crowing
15 Years
Oct 13, 2008
Northern NJ
One of my friends needs some help, they just got these 5 female guineas about a week ago and she emailed me:

"We came home from work today and one of the guineas isn't standing up.
We try to stand him up but he keeps on falling over. We felt his legs and feet they seem fine and if we hold him he can stand but if we let him go he falls over, it seems he can't bear weight on it.

Should we bring her over to see if you can tell anything? I read maybe a tendon moved or a dislocation. I don't know???"

Anyone have any input, I got this the next day so I haven't seen the bird yet, maybe tonight.

Where was she? Could she have gotten stepped on? Is she acting ok otherwise? Could she have gotten into poison like lead or mercury?

Shelly

Sorry I can't help, but I thought I'd bump this for ya, cause I have a 3 month old BLRW that acts like his leggs hurt too. he will walk fine,even run, but he seems to lay down a lot, even when outside the run free ranging. he will sit down and pick at the grass rather to stand and walk around like the others. So how about it folks, anyone got any ideas?

Leg injuries are always tough. A slipped tendon usually throws the leg to one side or the other, but they still can stand on one good leg. Could be a hairline fracture in the leg bone or possibly a hip displacement due to mating. On the sick side, could be Mareks disease as well. GIve him rest, and food and water within in reach and watch him is about theonly advice I can give.

They dropped her off here last night but will get her tomorrow, of course I have her separate from my other birds in a crate in my house.

They only got the 5 guineas ALL GIRLS so no mating going on about a week ago. They bought them at Goffle Hatchery in Wyckoff, NJ and were told they were all girls, about 6 months old and ready to lay.

She isn't using either leg at all. SHe feels a little hot to the touch but I don't know how guineas are supposed to feel.

I have been giving her pedialyte and polyvisol baby vitamins and there has been no change since last night.

The only thing I notice is one wattle is markedly smaller than the other.

Anyone? I had a bird with Marek's in the past but it was a chicken so I don't know she just has her legs to the side. Mine was always trying to do an arabesque and standing on the good leg.

Back
Top Bottom