Guinea Hen Laying For More Than Five Months Already

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by toptom, Jul 26, 2016.

1. toptom

toptom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    One of my hens have started laying on February and she keeps on laying until today. That means it has been six months already. Is this normal. Is this normal, anybody experienced the same with their birds? I'll keep on observing if she'll continue laying next month.

They are free ranging and keep on changing nests so I wasn't able collect much eggs (hatch-able eggs)

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I don't think they usually start laying that early in the year, but I think it depends on where you live (they would have a longer laying season in the south, I presume). Mine did not start laying until late March.

3. toptom

Mar 5, 2014

Well mine did! :). I live in PH. Ive been stalking her since I saw 3 eggs in a nest around Feb 15. Until now she's laying every day. She just wont stop.

4. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Being that you're in the tropics, I'm not surprised!

I am about to stop hatching keets and I'm looking forward to being able to eat the eggs again.

5. toptom

Mar 5, 2014

I dont seem to like their eggs, taste like grass. Lol. Been keeping guineas for 3 years, this is the first time I had one who laid like this.

6. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD

Really? Mine taste rich and creamy. So, what do you do with the eggs? Before I was hatching I was selling them. My guineas support my whole flock with the money I make selling eggs and keets.

7. toptom

Mar 5, 2014
    I'll just let the chickens hatch them, and when grown up we'll consume them for meat. Though guinea meat is not very tender, it tastes better than chicken meat especially on recipes with soups or broths.

8. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD

I've heard it's pretty delicious roasted as well. I've yet to eat one, though. I can think of less annoying birds to grow out for meat lol.

I make a couple hundred extra bucks a month hatching and selling them.

9. toptom

Mar 5, 2014
    That's good for you! They're really annoying sometimes, very loud but we got used to them somehow. My only problem is they like to be on the road. I already made a net fencing for them but another annoying creature made holes, so my guineas are out again

10. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    They don't bother me very much, but my husband complaining about them annoys the heck out of me. Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by