guinea hen with prolapse

2uncletonys

Hatching
6 Years
May 18, 2013
My head is spinning from reading what to do and what not to do with a prolapse. We are on day 3 of trying to treat my guinea hen (uncle tony). I have isolated her, cleaned her up, vasolined her, and preparation H'd her. The first day I was able to push it back in. Yesterday morning it was hanging back out. I tried and tried but was unsuccessful at pushing it back in. It just kept falling back out. I have put an antibiotic powder in her water. She has a little bowl of chicken mash to eat. She has lost weight. This morning I found maggots (totally grossed me out) eating at the dead tissue of the prolapse. I cleaned her off really good and put her back in isolation. I'm confused about the preparation H. Is it good or not? I read about not wanting the prolapse moist but spraying it with mixture of half peroxide half water to help it dry out. Haven't done this yet. Thoughts anyone? Uncle Tony is not very old so not sure why this has happened. If she laid an egg I have no idea. I have also read that prolapse can fix itself after some time and of course the right care. I have read about using honey (what kind) and soaking her bum in sugar water to help it shrink. This seems very odd to me because I think this would attract bugs. I don't know what else to do.

you may need to separate her from the rest of the hens. put her in a dark room and leave her there for a week or until it goes in on its own. don't feed the chicken layer feed. feed it yogurt, raisins, and bread. put prepararation h on her every day and only feed her twice a day. you don't want her to lay any eggs, so make sure she is in a dark place with no windows. also make sure it is a quiet place too.

Start by cleaning the area really well, then do a cloacal exam... Get gloves, KY Jelly and very gently check for egg or other masses. If I find an egg, I give 500-1000mg of human calcium orally. If I want it to work faster, I crush it, mix with water and tube it in. The calcium method usually produces results in less than two hours.

If that doesn't work, turn my water heater to high and fill the bathroom with steam or soak the hen in warm water.

If you don't find an egg, keep her some place clean and maybe apply Prep-H. I've read that some people use it, but I've also read that vets don't, so they choice is yours.

-Kathy

Unfortunately on Saturday Uncle Tony had to be euthanized. She seemed very uncomfortable in the cage she was in. She didn't sit down all day so that prolapse must have really bothered her. That evening I had my husband hold her so I could clean her up again and she had what I guess was rotting tissue near where the tail feathers come out near her butt. I had noticed an odor but thought it was from the little bit of poop she had let out. She had all these worms just having a feast and I couldn't let it go on anymore. I went back and forth on what to do. Afterwards I was mad at myself because I felt like I gave up but it was three days with things only getting worse. I didn't want her to suffer anymore. We have another guinea hen named uncle tony. (We got these birds from my husbands Uncle Tony so decided to name them after him) The next morning she was squawking away looking for the other one. She realized the cage was gone that we had her in and the door was reopened. She missed her.

Back
Top Bottom