Guinea hens didnt come home

TheBeav

In the Brooder
May 19, 2021
My guineas are approx 2-3 months old. I've had them since keets. They have been in their coop/run outside for about a 1-2 weeks. But tonight they didn't come home bCk to thier coop, Im worried. Will they come back tomorrow?

My guineas are approx 2-3 months old. I've had them since keets. They have been in their coop/run outside for about a 1-2 weeks. But tonight they didn't come home bCk to thier coop, Im worried. Will they come back tomorrow?
They might. How long were they in the coop full time before you let them free range?

Almost 2 full weeks in the coop... I came out at dawn to check and only 1 hen came back. She went into her run and is now screaming for thr other 2... no sign of them yet :-(

After walking the ENTIRE Yard (1 ½ acres) and As Much of the woods (2 acres) i could that surrounds our property;
Sadly I found a small area under a Big oak tree far up in our backyard butted against the woods, found a plumage of feathers, single ones as well as some "chunks" of feathers as well as pin feathers.. no blood....very small area where feathers were.... I fear that either a Hawk or an Owl got either One or both of them... im still going out looking, walking the perimeter and calling them... my only 1 left that came back, I looked over VERY well after i found the feathers, and she looks fine, no sign of a fight or struggle.. but ik she could have just been lucky and got away..as she was the biggest, though they were all sisters , same hatch day.
I have high hopes that the avian ( almost CERTAIN was an arial hunter) predator that struck ONLY got one hen..or praying and looking hard, hoping like heck she is just bedded down somewhere maybe wounded or scared or if she's or They are injured that I find her/them n can help... my poor last guinea (named "Avian") that came home this morning at dawn **I was outside waiting for dawn to arise at 5:30am cuz I KNEW she wouldn't come out til then** and when I went out to check on her n call the others again,, she now won't come out of their run at all now.... and is staying Mostly IN their coop itself.
She keeps SCREAMING and calling for the other girls
(Named "Kylo-Hen and HeiHei)..
**added info**they are my kids' ( & mine of course too ...lol as I do Most, like ¾ of their care, but I dont mind lol. I have to get up and do my routine anyway for my ducks...plus I got attached to them too as they are adorable!)
but my kids are going to be so heartbroken...(they don't know yet as its their day off for chores and are at their mamas today)
but my two girls guineas are the ones that are missing and still gone.
The one that came back is my eldest sons.
*The way we acquired them and reasoning for only a few is that the guineas were actually part of a class 4H project in school for my older daughter (grade 6) this past year..and we were able to bring up to 3 guinea hens home(or the breed of our choosing as they had differnt chics too) and my daughter brought them home after their projects end as 5 day old Keets.. were inside in brooder for a few weeks then took out daily to their coop/run and brought back in at night tik they were old enough and it was warm enough at night to be out.. they were LOCKED in their Run for a solid week at Least b4 I let out to free range.. this is only 2nd or so week free ranging. And 1st time they DIDNT come Home Before dusk ..(I lock them up in their coop at 8pm.. they KNOW 7:30 is is "roundup and treat" time for all my birds....)
But this is also my 1st time having guineas....
sorry for the long comment...im just so worried... I CARE N LOVE my birds... they are our pets ... we still even hold them daily. Thats why I have SMALLER flocks as well. (Only 5 ducks )
I WAS going to add at least 2 or 3 more Guinea hens to the flock though after I seen how well they were doing.. now i feel like i either HAVE to add now as I CANT have just 1 hen left, or regime her and thats just OUT of thr question.. shes our pet...so.. I need to scramble now.. and find at least 2-4 more guinea hen keets or juveniles. **But can't take on adults**

ty again for any and all replies.
the pictures are of the spot of feathers i found

Attachments

• 20210619_080649.jpg
    20210619_080649.jpg
    549.8 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom