Guinea Hens - How to find one?

Mackay

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 7, 2008
I'm thinking of getting some guinea hens because they will eat ticks.

I got bit by a tick this summer on our new property and I got Colorado Tick fever

and was sick as a dog for a couple of weeks. There is also Lyme in the area so I thought I might give these guys a try when we move up there.

How do I go about finding this kind of bird and can they endure really cold winters?

Thanks

You could check around locally for guineas. You may not get just hens. They are very hard to sex.

The egg laying season is coming to close. I know my hen has stopped laying. They won't start again until near May. I just gave away an entire hatch of new keets because I just don't have room to brood them over the next 12 weeks.

Check craigslist in your area too.

I just got a pair from a guy here in Ottawa (Canada). I asked him, and he also deals with eggs.

I can give you his e-mail address if you wish.

Good luck!

Got 6 guineas from Marlinchaser...they have done an AMAZING job of clearing my property of ticks! My son got Lyme's Disease this past spring, so after that, I got more serious about ridding our yard of ticks! Good luck! Where are you from???

I got a dozen of them this past spring. They were just too dang funny. My husband called them the Goonies.

I just hope you are out in the middle of nowhere because they can be extreemly noisey!! I couldn't take it anymore. (that and the fact that they were pulling out the tail feathers of a few of my hens) I got rid of all but 2 of them that I keep just for bugs.

Good Luck!!

Quote:
LOL---I call them, "little old church ladies." You know those little old church ladies that put on the big earrings, have wirey balding hair, fake eye lashes, and too much blush?! LOL And they are nutty! But they make me laugh...and good luck catching one!!! HAHA!!!!!!!!

I have a couple hens and a few keats, but I don't know where you live. If you live close, I would be happy to share.

They survive winter beautifully in Massachusetts, they just sort of yell at the snow when it starts and then adjust.

When the hens run through the yard they remind me of old ladies running in Pantiloons.

Back
Top Bottom