Guinea hens

crazychics4me

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 6, 2011
We got some for tick control. They are not full grown yet but big enough to leave the coop. However, I have not let them out yet I am scared I will never see them again. How do I let them out & know they will return?? Thanks...
smile.png

Ok they are in the coop with 2 baby buff orps so are you saying if I let them out with the buff orps it will be ok?? I also have older chickens that already come out of our other coop every day.

Quote:
They do have a reputation for wandering off into the sunset, don`t they? Heh heh, well, it depends on how long you`ve had them and their familiarity with "home". If you have had the over 3 months, it`s probably time. I would let a few out and keep some penned. They`re very attached to their own flock and will stay close to the others. Then you can let a few more out over a period of a week or so, depending on how many you have and how they do being out.
My latest batch I penned under my pole barn. That was home for them and they began to roost in the pole barn rafters, which was great as they were out of the weather and safe from owls. My pole barn has a concrete floor that I scrape every morning when I feed. I started with 20 keets over 2 years ago, but soon the number dwindled to 3 as my mountain is loaded with predators. These 3 have manged to stay safe for over a year, but any nests soon get destroyed. I definately have noticed a decrease in the bug population. Anything from ticks to scorpions.
Good luck with yours.........Pop

I actually have some guinea keets and we put them in a box with our old english chicks and when we go to open the box in order to feed them, they jump out of the box. I heard when you let them outside together they stay in groups wonder off and come back. They run so fast it may be hard to catch!

We got some for tick control. They are not full grown yet but big enough to leave the coop. However, I have not let them out yet I am scared I will never see them again. How do I let them out & know they will return?? Thanks...
smile.png

I had the same exact problem a few month ago, when my dad came home with 12 Guineas. But my neighbor (an old lady in her 70's) said that she raised them from being a little girl and discovered they are like pack animals.

Once they get to the age where they can defended for themselves, you can take guineas outside. But only release ONE, and put the rest in a cage out in the yard. Guineas are really social and dont like being by themselves. The one who was released will return due to the cries of its fellow friends and stick around. With in a week, (I did 5 days) release another ONE. and wait a couple of days and then another one. Repeat the process until over 2/3 of them are out. Then you can release all. Make sure to keep an eye out for them if they return and when they do. Lock them up at night so they know that's were to roost. Otherwise they will pick a random tree or hide somewhere unknown.

This worked for me and they always stay together in a group and don't go that far from where they roost. Once they know where home is, they will come back.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom