guinea housing...

wallaces3rd

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
I'm thinking about buying 2 adult guineas when I pick up my new 6 week old pygmy boys...I live pretty close to a road... I don't want to have to chase my guineas or have them fly away or bother my neighbors....can I just keep them confined to an enclosed area with a roost to go into at night and if so how much yard space would you recommend for two guineas ???
Ty
Anita

Guineas are pretty energetic. I'd rather see you let them free range. Pen them in for about 6 weeks so they find out where home is and then let them out. You may have to round them back into the roost at night, but with a big stick and some treats it'll be cake. Good luck!

I'm thinking about buying 2 adult guineas when I pick up my new 6 week old pygmy boys...I live pretty close to a road... I don't want to have to chase my guineas or have them fly away or bother my neighbors....can I just keep them confined to an enclosed area with a roost to go into at night and if so how much yard space would you recommend for two guineas ???
Ty
Anita

My house sits 600' off of a road and the guineas still find their way out into the middle of the road. Fortunately I haven't lost any to vehicles yet. If you are real close then the guineas will eventually be in the road.
rant.gif

This is just my opinion but keeping guineas penned up defeats the purpose of having then; ie.bug and snake patrol.
If you want them just for pleasure then they need a rather large covered pen. They can fly really well!

Back
Top Bottom